BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to try using fluro leaders this season, but haven't been able to tie them right. I always end up with kinked line above the knot. I can tie the same knot on mono with no problem. I have tried wetting the line and using different knots with the same problem. Any helpful suggestions? Thanks...Brent

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
To a plug I use a variation of a Perfect loop that works great for me. I can't find it anywhere on the net but I will try and explain it. You follow the first step the same as the perfect loop. Your basically forming a loop in the line and if you pulled it tight you would make a knot. But keep the loop open about the size of a nickel. Then run the end of the leader to the plug and back to the loop. Go through the loop once and then once more and pull tight. The farther the loop is from the lure or plug the bigger the loop. Not only is this a great not for plugging because it give your plug a more natural swimming presentation, but has worked great for storms, shads, and bucktails.

For knots to hook I usually just use a Trilene, which I believe is the same as an Improved cinch, or I snell it.

I hope that was easy to understand.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Sometimes you will get a "kinky" main line if you cinch the knot all the way down with the main line instead of the tag. Make sure you wet the knot well and pull the tag end fairly tight first, then finish with a short draw on the main line, then finish tightening the tag before trimming... I hope this helps.

I use a loop knot for jigs and plugs and a palomar for just about everything else.

[ 02-19-2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: fmTuna ]

·
Registered
556 Posts
Early bird,
fmtuna hit it right on the head. When using the improved clinch knot, which I recommend for tying to plugs or swivels etc. You need to complete most of the knot before pulling it down tight. Pull the tag end up tight then pull the main light tight causing the knot to slide down against the swivel, hook or whatever your tying it too. Then finish off with a pull on the tag end. Hope this helped out. Catchem-up

·
Registered
16,352 Posts
Earlybird

The problem you are having with the uni-knot that's making your line curl before the knot is from not keeping the coils tight throughout the tying and tightening of the knot. You'll get that all the time when you are just wrapping the tag end aroung the double lined part of the loop and then pulling the knot tight. To tie the uni properly, with flouro or mono, you need to grab and hold the loops with your thumb and forefinger, starting with the first loop and pull the loop back tight to the swivel. Each succesive loop needs to be tight to the the previous loop until you have a tight coil of 5 or 6 loops. Wet the coils with some saliva while holding them, (don't be afraid to spit on your fingers) pull on the main line while holding the coils from unraveling until the knot is tight. Do not pull at all on the tag end of the knot!

[ 02-19-2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The biggest problem is that if you do not lubricate the knot as you pull it dow, you will get that curl. As Capt. G said pull it down slowly. Also, I pull the tag end of the line before I pull the knot down. Tied right, the loop will slide down the standing part of the line and snug up tight. Another trick is to pull the knot down slowly and while there still is a loop, hold the knot with your finger and thumb and snug up the free end. This will lock the knot with a loop left for free swinging with a bucktail. When the fish hits, he will pull the loop out and the knot snugs up to the eye.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.