BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sometimes use 60# mono to tie rigs for Tog and other deeper water species. But the memory in the mono makes it a pain in the but to tie the rig(especially with dropper loops). Does any one have any suggestions on how to take the memory out of mono or is there another approach i should be looking at. Have tried wrapping 60# mono around a 2x4 six feetlong going arond several times and pulling very tight and leaving it for a few days took most of the memory out but some still remained i guess thats normal. By the way the mono i was using was 60#High Sea's .Thanks for any suggestions.:confused:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
You can buy the mono in "stalks" ie straight pieces most tackle shops stock em or you can get them from us but its not a big item and I don't have them listed on the website, we use them internally to build our rigs.

We do not use rolls of leader or mono to build our rigs as it will ALWAYS have memory to it and want to tangle.

·
Registered
62,423 Posts
Do you really want to use 60lb? I only ask because when you get snagged, what breaks? I would tend to think your mainline breaks somewhere, no? Wouldn't it be better to use like 40lb leader for the rigs and have that break over a snag?

If you do want to use 60, instead of buying material that is wound up on a spool, but the straight leader material that comes in 3 or 4 foot lengths. Not spooled, so it has no memory until you tie it. I always buy it in 40lb test, but I'm sure you could acquire 60lb if you looked around.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I use 60-100 lb stalks for deep water toggin.The stalks are great for staying strait and abrasion resistance.I tie my rigs so they break at the weekest knot when im snagged.Usually the overhand knot for the lead.
Ive seen 30-40 lb leader snap like nuthin on big tog in heavy structure.Tog are not leader shy no need to go lite.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I use 60-100 lb stalks for deep water toggin.The stalks are great for staying strait and abrasion resistance.I tie my rigs so they break at the weekest knot when im snagged.Usually the overhand knot for the lead.
Ive seen 30-40 lb leader snap like nuthin on big tog in heavy structure.Tog are not leader shy no need to go lite.
I agree i was on a Tog trip a month back with a bunch of Tog sharpies who fish the party boats a few times a week if they can and they also recommended 60-100# test. I'am also using 65# braid which is stronger than the 60# mono and the sinker is atached with a fairly strong rubber band which will more often save the rig if the sinker snags.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I use 65# braid with a 50# mono topshot and 60# mono to tie my rigs
Anything less then 50# is foolish in a sticky piece unless you like constently re-tying one lil fray is all mr trophy tog needs to get away

Like everyone else said the only way to avoid the memory issue is to buy the stalks, I can't help you on where because I myself have never used them

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I use 50# bread and 50# mono for my leaders. I do not use leader material anymore, because IMO I don't find it completely necessary. To get rid of memory from mono almost completely.....

1. Cut desired length from spool and hold one end in each hand.

2. Lay or sit down, placing the mid section of the leader under your foot(socks, no sneakers).

3. Pull the mono back and forth across the bottom of your foot for about 20 repetitions. Check the line and repeated if necessary. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Clamp down on the line in your hand creating a fist. Pull it through a couple times with your other hand. No memory.
As mentioned above: go big for tog.
Anything under 60lb is a :naughty:.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use 50# bread and 50# mono for my leaders. I do not use leader material anymore, because IMO I don't find it completely necessary. To get rid of memory from mono almost completely.....

1. Cut desired length from spool and hold one end in each hand.

2. Lay or sit down, placing the mid section of the leader under your foot(socks, no sneakers).

3. Pull the mono back and forth across the bottom of your foot for about 20 repetitions. Check the line and repeated if necessary. :thumbsup:
Thanks SWS I'll give it atry.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Clamp down on the line in your hand creating a fist. Pull it through a couple times with your other hand. No memory.
As mentioned above: go big for tog.
Anything under 60lb is a :naughty:.
That might work a little bit. I forgot to mention that you will need the keep the ends of the line up by your chest while you are moving it back and forth. It's crazy to pay $15 for a spool of 25yds leader material when you can DIY and get a spool of 275yds for about 9$.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I use 60-80lb leader for tog and only 40-50lb braid for my main line. Every time I hang up, it is the leader that parts. Most of the time I am able to just shake the rig off the bottom since I only use single hook rigs. Also, if you snag, your mono will rub up against the structure as you try to free it. This will compromise it's strength and POP, the mono leader will break.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.