BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Just my short experience. I started tying up 3 hook rigs. First it gives you more bait, so the little ones will take longer to steal. Next, old timer once told me the bigger sea bass are usually up higher than the smaller ones. The 3 hook rigs will cover more of the water column.
So when fishing 120-150', you do not have to check bait after a couple missed nibbles.
Rigs look good!

·
Registered
32,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just my short experience. I started tying up 3 hook rigs. First it gives you more bait, so the little ones will take longer to steal. Next, old timer once told me the bigger sea bass are usually up higher than the smaller ones. The 3 hook rigs will cover more of the water column.
So when fishing 120-150', you do not have to check bait after a couple missed nibbles.
Rigs look good!
I’ve heard that, and sometimes I do explore, 1/2 turn 1 turn ,2 turns , sometimes you get lucky and dangle it right in front of there face

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Been tying my own rigs for years. I do 3 and 4 hook combos and some crazy hook experiments I will try. I use the glow beads, and glow squid skirts. Sometimes the plain hook rigs work best, other times the squid skirts work best. I do use a long leader 3 - 4' . I mostly use 3/0-5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus J hooks. I used Gamakatsu 3/0 Octopus circle hooks on my last outing last year and did very good with them- as it seemed like a few fish were getting off the hook on the way up when I had J hooks on.. Had luck with Berkeley gulp glow mullets too.

Art paint Paint Art Line Rectangle
Rectangle Font Hood Wing Automotive exterior

·
Registered
32,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been tying my own rigs for years. I do 3 and 4 hook combos and some crazy hook experiments I will try. I use the glow beads, and glow squid skirts. Sometimes the plain hook rigs work best, other times the squid skirts work best. I do use a long leader 3 - 4' . I mostly use 3/0-5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus J hooks. I used Gamakatsu 3/0 Octopus circle hooks on my last outing last year and did very good with them- as it seemed like a few fish were getting off the hook on the way up when I had J hooks on.. Had luck with Berkeley gulp glow mullets too.

View attachment 466743 View attachment 466744
There nice I like the variety :)I tie the barrel right to my braid , this way when I do happen to find to much structure I bust it off , barrel always stays on the braid I cut WHATS left on the rig and tie on a new one

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Just tied two rigs with the T knot. Pretty easy to do and to remember forever. I need to tame my hook loop size down a tad......Even had my 9 year old getting in on the new Knot. He tied one and was happy as a clam. It's a dropper loop with one addition step that you do prior to making a dropper loop which makes it so easy. Glad someone suggested this.
Art Body jewelry Twig Jewellery Font
Outerwear Shoulder Sleeve Eyewear T-shirt
Natural material Insect Arthropod Invertebrate Terrestrial plant
Water Road surface Wood Asphalt Brick

·
Registered
32,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is so cool the young man is tying knots,your drop loop size, my be a tad long, the t knot holds it straighter of the line , but the length of the loop now may still wrap… by the way they look great

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Yeah, going to make more today with a smaller drop loop. I made one rig with 1/0 J hooks incase there are any trigger fish in the deeper waters. I'll put a heavier tactical anglers clip on my main line to switch rigs out on the fly.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Rig is tied directly to a barrel swivel. My main line (braid) is tied to a Tactical Anglers clip. This way if I think circle hooks/smaller hook size/bigger hook size/plain rig etc etc if something seems to be doing better, I can switch it out rather fast instead of tying rigs.
Purple Sky Wood Line Swing

1 - 20 of 24 Posts