BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As reported by the Associated Press "the Inspector General of the US Department of Commerce said that the nation's top fishery cop, Dale Long, destroyed 140 files while his office was under investigation for possible unfair enforcement of fishery laws."

Please read the whole article but it just goes to show you what is really going on. That's why I laugh when I see the constant infighting about fish violations
on the boards and why I represent fishermen anytime they have a fish violation problem. It really looks bad-- and that's what the government is saying about this, not me.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
OK WTF,,, i don't get it. Admittedly, I don't know much about he management but what is all the hush hush crap about???

There're just fish and they are chased by most of us here cause we like them. Is the money that big that is it so powerful? How then? I only hear of Comm fishermen complaining being too broke to do much and barely getting by. Whats all this conspiresy about??

Please open my eyes....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone of us did this we would be arrested, indicted and incarcerated pursuant to the Federal Guidelines, with the loss of your employment, pension
and of course a large legal bill and fine.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
OK WTF,,, i don't get it. Admittedly, I don't know much about he management but what is all the hush hush crap about???

There're just fish and they are chased by most of us here cause we like them. Is the money that big that is it so powerful? How then? I only hear of Comm fishermen complaining being too broke to do much and barely getting by. Whats all this conspiresy about??

Please open my eyes....
Industrial commercial fishing corporations payoffs.....More money in the pockets of the top people that make the rules = less fish for us and the smaller commercial guys but = more fish for the industrial corporations to continue to pillage the worlds oceans.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Commercial fishermen are organized and pay a lot of money to their lobbying organizations to get them protections through Congress and NMFS. Commercials who catch certain species pay a certain amount per pound to cover marketing and lobbying to their organizations.

Recreational fishermen, by and large, are NOT organized and God Help anyone ask a recreational, by and large, for money. While recreationals have access to many excellent organizations that do great work to protect the rights of recreationals, few recreationals, as a percentage of all recreational fishermen, belong and donate to these organizations.

Do YOU belong to RFA? If not, why not?

Do YOU belong to IGFA? If not, why not?

Do YOU belong to The Billfish Foundation? If not, why not?

Remember, an attack by the authorities on our rights in one species has to be met with a counterattack even if you do not fish for that particular species. Once the camel's nose is under the tent, the risk increases for all of us.

The next time you charter, ask the Captain what recreational fishing organizations he or she belongs to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.