BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yours truly got taken to school down here the other night. Steve and I all-in-all had a great night, 1 snook, 1 red, and 1 real nice Spec.

But......., I lost the mother of all snook, estimated by Steve to be at least 35 pounds. Fought for a good 4 -5 minutes, took my Shimano 6500 down to the mono. Made 4-5 just Unbelievable runs, each time I was cranking the drag a bit tighter. Fish made one last long run down 2 ice-breakers(fenders down here) and banked a left and broke-off :mad:

Anywho, Steve and I are changing plans. Any ideas on the best bridge rig form reel, rod, to line. Strictly a bridge used set-up. Need to horse these fish out quick. By the by they have had their way already with 30 or 40 pound PowerPro rigged to a 100 pound barrel swivel with 60 pound fluoro crimped to the swivel and a 3/0 hook. Always breaking off at the reel line to swivel.

Steve's on record for a Penn 330 Level wind with 50 pound power to a 6 foot medium flex

Thanks in advance

[ 07-23-2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
get akayak. A yak allows you to silently fish all around the bridge and to pull the fish away from the bridge into open water after hooked. The sleigh ride you will enjoy tires a big fish in half the time of fishing from the bridge or power boat. The hobie outback rules for bridge fishing.....
barrell

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by barrell:
get akayak. A yak allows you to silently fish all around the bridge and to pull the fish away from the bridge into open water after hooked. The sleigh ride you will enjoy tires a big fish in half the time of fishing from the bridge or power boat. The hobie outback rules for bridge fishing.....
barrell
Can't argue with that one. This bridge is a good run, so I am stuck in the boat

Just purchased a Diawa Beef Stick, Penn 345 GTI Level Wind Plus.

Out tomorrow night, will post a report

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
The bueaty of yak fishing is you use your truck or car to get the yak within a couple hundred yards of where you want to fish. I have never found a bridge that I couldnt launch near.
Barrell

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Gotta go convential D.B. more power there for sure. Go Abu man! Ive landed Tarpon to 60lbs on the 5500's (in a kayak though) you could go up to the 6500 size for more assurance, but then you'll have a harder time throwing lighter plugs, jigs, etc...I put em on the Lami Inshore Classic and im lovin this setup for putting the brakes on the larger fish.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the advice

Snookmaster and I were out again last night, 1 slot Red and a ladyfish.

We lost again, three MAJOR hook-ups , 2 for Steve and one for me. Bothe lost at the leader to hook. 80 pound flouro. Currently I am using a Penn 345 Level Wind Plus with 100 pound PP.

It's just unfiggin-believable. To date I have wrestled 20 pound plus dolpin,snapper, grouper a 30 pound striper, sails to 80 pound, and a 100 pound plus Cuda. Never have I had such a fight with fish. Most guides and locals seem to think we are dealing with giant snook, reds, tarpon and or drum.

Next plan is to spool a reel with wire or a braid polymer like Firewire as Bob mentioned

Just the most exciting bridge fishing I have ever had.

I will keep you all posted, we got another 3 months of this summer like fishing. Out agin this weekend

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chafed

Hook-ups on chunked ladyfish, pinfish and shrimp. Not a one has hit a crab

Hook ups are pretty consistent, if they strike you are off to the races

What the hell could pull line off of a Penn 345 Level Wind locked up star drive ?? Just unreal

My fight last night was just ridiculous

·
Registered
820 Posts
Are you sure you didn't hook the bridge while your boat was drifting away from it? :eek: Those bridges can give one hell of a fight. :D :D :D
Whatever it is, please take pictures when you get it in. I would say it's a big tarpon. Just a guess.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Fly fish:
Are you sure you didn't hook the bridge while your boat was drifting away from it? :eek: Those bridges can give one hell of a fight. :D :D :D
Whatever it is, please take pictures when you get it in. I would say it's a big tarpon. Just a guess.
I have bruises under my right arm from the but of the pole snapping up when they hit. I must admit one day took I strike so hard on a shrimp I lost my balance, slipped and fell

I will post some pics

·
Registered
54 Posts
DB-
Several years ago one of the saltwater magazines did a test of over 80 20-pound test lines. The 2 highest rated lines for abrasion resistance and strength were regular Tuf Line (not Plus or XP) and Mason Tigerline--both braids. I tried Tuf line and now swear by it.
You are fishing at night, so tie the hook right to 100# braid. Start with a 40-50 turn Bimini knot making a double line, and to the hook use a Berkley knot(a double loop improved clinch knot).
Several equipment points; 1. Since braid does not stretch, you may want to go with a longer trolling type rod to act as a cushion. 2. Add more Drag-Can you really lock that 345 down? If not, gear up. 3. Use a rubber band to attach the weight. 4. If teeth or a tarpon's gill plate seem to be the culprit, try a circle hook first and a tuna bomb second. Finally, think wreck fishing with a big grouper or snapper trying to get back home--Lock It Up & Give NO Quarter.
Good Luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Powerpro's biggest weakness is the knot that you use to tie the line to the tackle. Fireline doesn't have that problem. You can get 100# test in a thickness equal to 30# mono. I wouldn't use wire. Fireline used with a good conventional reel with a quality drag, should allow you to handle any fish.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
DB, You have to pull the anchor and let the fish pull your boat. Start the boat and chase them down if you must. Use a quick release on your anchor line with a float. Lots of luck!

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Herb some great info there actually. That's why I love the Barn

Maine, I am gonna try that Tuff or Fireline soon, appreciate it

Bruce, yeah your right on that, chalk that one up on our laziness. We are gonna give it a go this weekend, Steve's advice is to stay out until something big hits the boat

Gonna try to post some pics from this trip

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by KeysKid:
Whats that leader looking like after the break off? Chafed, Splintered, etc..
What are you getting your hookups on? Jigs, plugs, livies?
Josh, for what-ever it's worth I really do feel the leader material and lenght are just over blown, that's kinda why I wanna just try a 200 hundred pound or wire set-up for kicks and giggles. When fishing bait, just don't think it matters.

To me it's all in the depth and style of presentation matched with the fish's feeding habits and water clarity

Out in the clear blue we use nothing but wire, wahoo, dolphin, kings and sails all hit it fine. That water offshore here is crystal friggin clear.

Gonna give it a whirl, will know soon enough

BTW, you haven't lived until you see that Space shuttle in person, UFB

[ 07-28-2005, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.