BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about setting up to troll with an umbrella rig just alongside the shore-line. Every website that I have looked at boasts how great they work but no one ever mentions them on the Bass Barn. Any thoughts? Any general areas or depths that they work well for Striper? I fish out of ocean City.
Also, sometimes I read about people that use 30 to 40' leader with a snap swivel and a weight at the front end of the leader. How do you retrieve the leader if theres a swivel and weight there? Do I need outriggers for that kind of set-up?
Thanks for any ideas.

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
usbravo, most don't troll with mono when using umbrella's.......most use wire line or braided line. This type of line lets you get the rig down deep closer to the bottom where the stripers are. Try filling your reel with half mono then half braid. Use a uni to uni knot to splice em together. Troll slow and try to keep your rig just off the bottom, find the depth that allows you to do this! Im no pro, justs passing on what ive read on here......

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
use a drail just in front of the umbrella. rig the center bait about 12" to 18" back from the others. slow and on the bottom. maybe 3kts, but 2 is better. if you start getting wacked by blues start using tubes instead of shad bodies. shad bodies work better imo but it gets expensive when the choppers are around. you can also use light spoons. imo i've had problems with the uni knot too far down the line. by this i mean i don't like it in the water. the braid will cut through the mono when enough presure is applied. you do have to back the reel with mon so the braid doesn't slip on the spool. you only need enough mono to cover the spool with say 3 layers of mono. i then put at least 300 yds of braid on. good luck

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
I got my first chance to fish with umbrella shads and bunker spoons. We were using monel wire line. Starting with the lures he had about 50 yards of mono attached to 150 yards of wire and the rest was filled with dacron. The wire had the lures on the bottom in 40 to 50 ft with no drail weight. We caught 30# to 40# stipers and loads of blues. It was 2 days ago and my arm is still a little sore. Pulling in a large striper, all that line, and an umbrella rig is quite a workout, some times you get 2 and 3 blues. I'm debating whether or not to set up a couple of rods I have for wire. Good way to put meat on the table though.

[ 05-24-2006, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Vitalsigns ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.