BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody like them? If so eel or minnow? I never trolled for stripers before. Is it a waste of time and fuel?

·
Registered
16,329 Posts
They are Tubes or Shads, and Yes many off the shelf will work. Depends on the bait, if theres sand eels, worms, eels etc. Tubes, Shads when theres bunker, herring, mullet etc. around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think it's a waste of time. I enjoy getting out and spending the day slow trolling along the beaches. I almost always have a good day of catching stripers when trolling. I don't use umbrella rigs that often though. If bluefish are around they will pile on and tear up the shads that I use. That can get expensive. I'll put them on only if I've tried everything else and I know no bluefish are around. My favorite trolling method is with large bunker spoons on wire line. I'll also troll large plastic lures alot too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have caught hundreds of stripers on rigs. Little ones and bigs also caught two three and four at time along with a bunch of blue fish!!! Not always the funest way but very very effective.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have caught hundreds of stripers on rigs. Little ones and bigs also caught two three and four at time along with a bunch of blue fish!!! Not always the funest way but very very effective.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Don't forget to add a large swimming plug or shad body about 12 to 18 inches further back in the center of the umbrella. The bass can't seem to let that swim by without attacking the plug

·
Registered
147 Posts
I love 'em. Can't stop laughing everytime one of the crew has to crank it in. They'll jump on the rod everytime, but run out of steam half way in. Obviously, I drive the boat. Tubes in colder water, shads in warmer.

G

·
I use them on the Chesapeake bay and catch as many fish on 2 U rigs as the other 4 pods put together. Not much of a bluefish issue there. On the C bay everyone seems to troll them at 2.5 to 3.5 mph.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Use them in Raritan bay work great. Troll at 3.5 knots. Most people use wire line. Rule of thumb is for every 10ft out goes down 1 ft. In 20 ft of water 200 ft of wire. Want to keep them near the bottom when depth changes have to work the lines.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use them from time to time in the raritan / sandy hook area.

very effective fished along the bottom. check regularly to remove debris/clams/crabs/etc...

cheers
Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts