BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From early March until sometime in November, I go outside and throw the castnet under the spotlights I have on my bulkhead. You really do never know what you're going to get. Anything and everything, and I really do mean anything.

Last year.......... Some kind of Herring/Shad in February, not much in March, then all Summer long Oyster Crackers, Kingfish, Weakfish, Fluke, Peanuts, Sand Perch, Sea Bass, Tog, Blue Claws, Spearing, Killies, Spot, the occasional Crevalle Jack and more, really, anything goes.

Last 2 months I have thrown at least once (just to keep them honest) almost every single night, and nothing. Literally, not one single anything in 2 months.

2 nights ago, a switch got flicked, and it was game on. Moon, tide, temp, spawn, whatever, don't know, but something made the "life" under the lights go from 0 to 60 in one day.

Sunday night, it was White Perch. Last night, 10" Stripers, tonight, well, I'll let the pics do the talking on this thread the rest of the way. I'm throwing every night, sometime after dark. Could be 8pm, could be 3am. I prefer high tide. I'll try to throw a pic in this thread as much as I can. Can't promise every night, but I'll try.

I'll also come back to this first post every time we catch a new species, and keep a bit of a running list.

So far in 2014 - White Perch, Striper, Fluke, Spearing, Pipefish, Blue Claws, Grass Shrimp, Oyster, Peanut Bunker, Hog Choker, Oyster Cracker, Sea Robin, Winter Flounder, Black Sea Bass, Spot, Green Crabs, Bluefish, Puffer, Lizard Fish, Striped Blenny, Sand Perch, Kingfish.

Only a couple of throws tonight. Very difficult to make the net do what I want in this wind. But we still pulled out a victory. This guy was such a dark Brown when we pulled him up that he was closer to Black than he was Brown. Wasn't in the tank for 5 minutes before he started to change colors. The larger one is a leftover from last Summer. He was scheduled to go free in a few weeks, but if they're around now, we'll move his release date to this weekend.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
very cool joey!!!

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you thinking of tagging him? It would be really cool to see what happens to him.
That thought had not occurred to me at all! May have to seriously look into doing that as a project with the kids.

Nice idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
25,689 Posts
I expect pictures from you everyday...

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should post a link to your last years mega thread with the kids and all the random critters! It would be good to reference as to what will come.
Last year was pretty out of control, and we got off to a great start. Don't want to be a downer, but I don't think I can top that. Going to try though.

I expect pictures from you everyday...
I will not promise, especially on night's with weather like we have today, but this won't be a hit and run thread. I'll post pics very often.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's great stuff! I will definitely continue to check out your thread to see the updates.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey joe , great idea i just moved not far from you and I will give this a try, I had know idea there are that much in the creek,

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
I vote castnet parties at joeys house!!!

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Step one................ Get a setup like this:

Step two................ Note that shadowline:

Step three.............. Under the other light, set up an assassin with a Barbie pole (quite deadly, by the way):

Step four............... Throw!!!!!

Two sessions tonight, one around 9:00, just after dark, produced nothing. Hadn't been dark enough long enough; party wasn't started yet.

Then again about 20 minutes ago. Three throws, and all 3 looked similar to this one. No one new for the tank tonight, but it's all good. Back at it tomorrow night. Being a Friday, school night bedtime curfew will not be in effect, so we should get in more than just a few throws. If I were to take a guess, I'm going to say the next "guest" is going to be a very small White Perch. Need a real small one though, like 6" or preferably even less.

1 - 20 of 478 Posts