BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,985 Posts
I will add one more. I stand behind the great Bertram Yacht. All I here is exactly that heresay. Tell me I am wrong but they will all fail if you run em hard enough. Lots of jetsam out there.

· Registered
1,985 Posts
The boat blew apart when it hit a wave. This was the 2nd bertram to have delamination problems and probably not the last. The cored hull sides and bottom did not get infused with enough resin. This created a dryspots that had no strength because the resin did not touch the core. Its pretty much like building a boat out of cardboard with glass on either side and if the resin doesn't hit the foam core in some areas well I think we all know what happens then. When you have low wage hispanic workers that when you ask them if they know what they are doing they always say Si or yes. You think they care what happens to the boat. They get paid by the hour and cold care less what a bertram is or how well its built. Its fine to have them laying up hulls in solid glass but infusing resin into a foam core? Everybody wants a lighter and faster boat but there is a price to pay when doing this and your boats bow blowing into a million pieces when it hits a wave is one of them could you imagine if somebody was sleeping up in the bow!!! Builders should go back to solid glass hulls they don't fail. If you want to core stuff then core the decks but the hull? I want something solid under my feet!
Shucks.********************************

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.