BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I have eaten sea robbins, they are not too bad. I spoke with an asian lady at a fish market and she explained that small oyster crackers are used whole to make a real good fish stock. She also said that the larger ones can be steamed whole and stripped down just like Monk fish

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Originally posted by Bawugna:
I spoke with an asian lady at a fish market and she explained that small oyster crackers are used whole to make a real good fish stock. She also said that the larger ones can be steamed whole and stripped down just like Monk fish
Did you get the happy ending too.
:D

Sea Robbin is excellent, much like sea bass

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
Having been to asia quite a few times, the culture eats anything that comes out of the ocean. It doesn't matter what it is, sea sluggs, sea cucumbers, seaweed, skates, glass minnows, those are deep fried whole and look like french fries with eyes and most of it is held live and sold out of fish tanks. Have you ever eaten octopus raw, its sliced up and put in a bowl you have to pry the tentacles off the side of the bowl because the nerves are still working and are holding on.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
yes there is a market for the oyster crackers

if you go to utsches marina and look at last dock (I) there is a few pens in water for holding them they smell real bad in summer

you sometimes see a truck from ny loading em up

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
When eating live octopus ,you have to quickly take a shot of Saki to keep the suction caps fro sticking to your throat..
actually it is a good reason to drink Saki

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
A couple of years ago the Philadelphia Inquirer ran an article about how the state was going to impose a limit to the number of oyster crackers you could keep out of the DB because of the demand for them in Asia (shipped out of NY). It said they are deep fried or steamed until they are like a soft but firm type of gelitin. Then they are eaten head, fins, bones and all. :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Fillet and bread them or I personally like them cooked in a frying pan in butter and some garlic. I have also mad a salad out of them like tuner and it is awesome.

A few lbs of fillet (any fish) with a little mayo, dijon mustard, a little relish (yes) a little onion, salt & pepper. Mixed up to the moisture you prefer, I like it a little dry. Put her on toast and melt some cheese and you got yourself a sanb!tch that yummy.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Originally posted by Bob ECT:
You won't have to worry about oyster cracker much longer. They are getting big $$ for them in the asian live fish market.
Bob,
It is interesting that you say that. The fact however is that they used to be worth some decent $$. Like 2 to 3 bucks a piece! Then as will always happen, every guy who catches them as by catch got himself a tank for the center of the deck and rather than scupping them, they were retained. The market has been flooded and the price took a comensurate drop to about 75 cents to a dollar per fish. That same lady who gave me the education in Oyster Crackers offered me a buck a fish if I brought them in live.....Oh and there was no happy ending, she was rather cute though and spoke English really well, So there Stain! :D ......I just laughed and told her no thanks. I spoke to one commercial guy who was disgusted by the whole affair really. He was one of the ones on the ground floor of that fishery (so he said) and was really angry that it started to become almost not worth the trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts