BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Union for the third time in Feb. without a bite from a bass. I am now looking for any help for this time of year in that vast waste land. Can anybody throw me bone:huh: Front or back, east or west, I am just straight up lost out there. I guess not having depth finder doesn't help:nuts: Any tips would be AWESOME!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Josh,

Since I can't fish until the weekends arrive, I will try to give you some good advice. First of all, try looking at the Union Lake website. They have the hot spots listed on that site, but can't guarantee you will catch fish. The other spots that have produced for me is the second island on the left, facing the back of the lake. I caught a bass there along the bank back in December. Some other spots that may produce is the grass on the left, right after that second island. The fish are there in the summer and hide in that thick grass. Try the back of the lake near the bluff. The last spot that I would try is to the right of the dam, where the cliff slopes into the lake, about 50 feet from the shore. I caught my bass on a Rapala Husky Jerk, natural perch color. If Union doesn't produce for you the next time, let it go until the spring or summer. You know where to catch fish elsewhere.;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man!!! That looks like a nice one in the picture! Yea I really pounded on the grass with soft plastics in hopes that a bass would come out and bite. Three hours went by real fast. I think your right, I should just stay at my home pools. Union is just to frustrating feel me to handle:) Anyway if you get a day off or a break in the schedule let me know.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks DP, tried a lot of X-Raps around the wrecks and really appreciate the input. Atleast I feel like I was doing something right:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
The perch and crappie fishing is hot in any of the coves right now. A small jig 5-7' under a bobber would work magic. But then again you probably dont want perch, so I would go with a small jig bouncing on the bottom for some nice smallmouths that are in the lake. The first island off of the new ramp is a good place to try for smallies. Live bait is a killer for largmouths. You could also try for the so called stripers:D. Good luck

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Lots of good info on this thread. DirtyPenny, Reelin, and FishDevil gave you the puzzle pieces. Put them together to catch some fish!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Fish finder is a must in cold weather. Fish staging around structure deep and drop offs . Union can be fished in the spring with ease but this time of year . Jig s deep water. Slow rolling.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
:thumbsup:THANKS! -Yea lots of good info, thanks everybody. I am going to try and put it all together and see if I can get back out there this week for that last February shot. I really appreciate everyone's input. I really love the lake just not to experienced with it, so this should help me out a lot. I will let you know if it pays off!:D Sorry didn't get a water temp, no thermometer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts