BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I decided to go up that one creek rite before you get to the north widwood bridge on the left, as your heading north to try some chunking for sripers, I think its called turtle creek, but I m not sure on that, good depths in the creeks back in there but on the way out one day rite before it got dark I was on my way out about only an hour past high tide going out of the creek about half throttle, I wanted to get home before dark to breezy- lee I ran aground on a sandbar. L uckly after tilting my motor up the wind pushed me off of it into deeper water and I was able to get out of there. By the way the creek was empty, no other boats, does anbody know which side of that creek to stay on in that one section that shows 6 ft. depth on the chart. That two hundred ft. or so section of that creek I cant figure out which side to stay on! Any body that knows that creek I would appreciate any advice on navigating it, Im going to go back up it this spring but definetly slower. "Thanks". Its the section rite after that busted up dock on the rite as your heading into the creek thats shallow and then its good the rest of the way for the most part. Im running a 20 ft. cc.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey Sea Hunt.

Have fished that creek for almost fifty years. Flounder, weakies and stripers. It has gone under two names for a long time. Turtle and Creeseys. It isn't actually a creek but a thouroughfare. Runs all the way up under a railroad bridge into a shallow sound just north of rt47.

Once you make the turn at that dock stay just slightly left of the center. The bar on the right is larger but middle to middle left will work all the time.

Best advice is when you are ready to start fishing take a trip all the way up at low tide. You will be able to see the shallow water that way. After that you should have a mental map and good to go.

Tons of stripers up there and some big ones to make it fun. It's my favorite flounder area until the greenheads come out.

I could spend my whole fishing season up there with no problem. If you get a chance stop by NoBones tackle shop and I can draw you a good map of the entire area.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
I too have fished the creek many a times. I remember as a kid, when me and my dad would go out for flounder in the inlet, and not catch any, we would go to the creek and catch seabass after seabass. All too small, but I can remember those were great times.

Sea Hunt...Do exactly what Fred says about navigation in the creek. He knows the creek best. turtle creek is my favoret places to take the jet-ski, but I only do it if there is no one fishing. I know what kind of a hassle they can be lol. If you decide to venture up the creek make sure you do it on the incomming tide, when it is almost all the way up. I went out there with a friend one time and believe me when I say those 6 hours waiting for the tide to come back up is no walk in the park!

Great crabbing there too. Just stay away from the commercial pots.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Turtle Creek one of my favorite areas for years also. Not 50 years though Fred ;) Maybe 20. Phil, funny you should mention small seabass. When my kids were young,during the "dog days" of August, we'd fish for those little suckers.It was loaded with em. The kids loved it! I still remember them catching one after another and my wife not being able to hookup and me just laughing and soaking it in :D

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Mike those seebass were all over the place. Not so much anymore. We used to call those days "catch and release" good times. Mike I see that you are a Phy. Edu teacher. May I ask where? I am going to school to become a phy ed teacher too...just wondering how you like it. Drop me a line.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
last year i did not catch a seabass back there and i was amazed.even at low tide you could run a 40ft.boat back turtle at low tide almost a mile.the first two lage creeks on your right will take you way back but in those be carfull once you get back those about 3/4 of a mile.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, and fred I was hoping you would reply to this because I know your familiar with that creek because I took note of the water tower in the background on a few of your backwaterways chunking shows. V ery much appreaciate the tip on getting past that shallow area. I didn't want to not go up there anymore because it looked like it had good potential for fishing, ie bottom depths. Thanks again!

·
Banned
13,499 Posts
Originally posted by Sterling Harbor:
About two years ago, during the summer (I think), I caught a keeper Flounder, Weakfish and a Striper back that way, all in a few hours. Hat Trick!
Biggest fished it last year, he had a skate, a sea robin, an oyster cracker, and a doggie....a trash can slam! :D ;)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Are you guys talking about where the yellow marker is? Before you go in the creek? its about 50ft. deep or so at the marker.If it is, I go back there striper season when its to windy to go to the rips or the bay. Always pick one or two up there...

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
paul--most of the talk is of the creek before the nww icw bridge.

the yellow marker is at the bottom end of the crest the two creeks are about 6 or 7 miles apart.

[ 02-21-2005, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Are you guys talking about where the yellow marker is? Before you go in the creek? its about 50ft. deep or so at the marker.If it is, I go back there striper season when its to windy to go to the rips or the bay. Always pick one or two up there...
Paul, maybe you are talking about "Deep Water Creek"? Off the ICW, sort of across from Sunset Lake above the 50 cent bridge? (Red Marker) There's a yellow float, and I'm not sure what it is, but it showed up about 1 - 1 1/2 years ago. Maybe a weather bouy? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Yes I know what you are talking about Cathy. You go around the bend and right about the time you can pretty much head straight to the bridge, on your right is a yellow bouy. Im pretty sure it is weather related.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
It's a water quality monitoring bouy.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Thanks guys,
I never new the name of it . nor did i now what that yellow float was..

Thanks,Paul

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Originally posted by Sterling Harbor:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Are you guys talking about where the yellow marker is? Before you go in the creek? its about 50ft. deep or so at the marker.If it is, I go back there striper season when its to windy to go to the rips or the bay. Always pick one or two up there...
Paul, maybe you are talking about "Deep Water Creek"? Off the ICW, sort of across from Sunset Lake above the 50 cent bridge? (Red Marker) There's a yellow float, and I'm not sure what it is, but it showed up about 1 - 1 1/2 years ago. Maybe a weather bouy? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? </font>[/QUOTE]It's a "water quality bouy". I saw a guy tending it one day and asked, it measures water quality, temp., that kind of stuff, nothing to do with weather. Sometimes some nice weakies hang on that bouy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts