BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update & Video on Live Lining & Topwater Tactics Miss Less/Land More

Doing some serious crab grabbing the last fews days getting everything stocked while I'm waiting for the boat to come out of the shop...

Water is hovering just above 50, little green shoots of grass are popping up on the marsh, so by the time I get in we should have a nice fishery on our hands

This is another one of the videos we took from the seminar last month. Since some of you couldn't make or want to attend a second time we have a few seats left for this Saturday 4/19 starting @ 6pm @ Off The Hook Bait and Tackle Cape May. You can give Chuck or Mary a call @ (609) 884-0444 to reserve your seat. It will go for a few hours. I've made a few changes and improvements this time around as well. We're including new underwater video to give a better perspective during the talk and my wingman on the boat Chris (bottomsweeper) will be there as well.

My schedule on the boat is filling up pretty good at this point so if you want to get out during May and especially June give me a shout. If it's going to be anything like last year it's going to break open all at once during the month of May with hordes of surface smashing bass and bruiser tog beating us up right through the spring into summer. Give me a shout @ 608-780-5124 or [email protected] to get in on it. I look forward to having you on the boat!

Now The Content:

This is a quick piece where I discuss how and why striped bass feed the way they do and the best way I've found to give them the steel.
Especially with live lining , having a bass peel line from your spool only to lose it seconds after the hook set is extremely frustrating and something I found I could minimize.

It's a bit different of a style and it's worked exceptionally well for us.

Let me know what you think. There's a bunch more content down the road and they're going to be touching on topics that are pretty in depth.

I really like the story telling format that a written report with pictures offers as well. But more and more people, myself too, will watch/listen to a quick video vs taking the time to read a blog post.

My Youtube page is Insomniacfilmstudio which you can subscribe here through this link to keep up with the latest.
http://www.youtube.com/user/insomniacfilmstudio

I have several youtube channels that I watch religiously and look forward to the updates every week. You can learn almost anything now on Youtube.

You can Like my Facebook page through the link below for up to the minute reports
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Insomniac-Guide-Service-LLC/127841563899334?ref=hl

If you plan on attending Saturday we'll see you there!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Great video, Dan. I read all your reports and use your tactics, but use a kayak instead of a boat with great results. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Good stuff as always Dan ! It's funny I've had plenty of bass smack lure with tail with surface plugs,have gotten hits while trolling when fish gets off and you will just have a scale on the hook which obviously didn't come from the mouth or head and you can't tell me a bass can't out swim any presentation. Still many many guys and some guys that I feel are true sharpies and respect big time swear that a bass will just never tail swipe a bait what gives?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great video, Dan. I read all your reports and use your tactics, but use a kayak instead of a boat with great results. Thanks for the info.
That's awesome to hear thanks!

Good stuff as always Dan ! It's funny I've had plenty of bass smack lure with tail with surface plugs,have gotten hits while trolling when fish gets off and you will just have a scale on the hook which obviously didn't come from the mouth or head and you can't tell me a bass can't out swim any presentation. Still many many guys and some guys that I feel are true sharpies and respect big time swear that a bass will just never tail swipe a bait what gives?
Thanks! Yeah I know. I was never certain until I slowed the different footage down and could see the bass first nose up to a plug; almost to aim and then violently turn and smack it hard with their tails. Sometimes they'll even hit it a couple of feet out of the water only to turn and crush it right as it lands.

What's amazing is how hard they are to hook even in the mouth. Striped Bass and redfish too are built with some pretty large scales. Like an armor plating. These fish thrive in some really punishing environments. Rocks , pounding surf during storms, etc. I think their bodies are so tough, that if they tail swipe it, the hooks have a hard time really digging in and maybe a scale or two just slides right off with the lure like you've witnessed.

Another thing you pointed out is how fast they are. It's shocking how much ground they can cover even with just one bat of their tail. I've notice this when sight fishing during the day. When a bass zeros in on what it wants, they are on it like a lightning bolt. The prey has no chance. They're just that quick.

Dan, great little videos thanks! Question, are you using circle or j hooks when live baiting.
I'm always using a jig head. A jig head gives us dexterity and resists snagging the structure. Spot naturally swim to the bottom and with boat control the baitfish can be kept right in the strike zone. I'll explain this in full detail in an upcoming video. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts