BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Good luck with that. The MVC will treat you like you stole them, so first make sure they are not stolen by the previous "owners". When they hand you a pile of forms to fill out, take notes on what specifically needs to be notorized.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Lost or missing titles can be dealt with if the owner legally owns the boat & trailer. I would make sure he has registrations (hopefully current registrations) on both. Take him with you to DMV when you do the transfer. He may have to apply for lost titles first or at the same time you do the transfer if you buy.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
How small and how is the boat powered? Were they registered to him? NJ does not issue titles for trailers. Were they last registered in PA or NJ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Keep in mind under 12ft does not need a title. My last boat I bought from Del and it did not have a title just a registration that I took to DMV and they gave me a NJ title.

Rc

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
First you'll need to take the boat to a NJ Marine Police. If it has a Hull ID number they'll run it. If it doesn't they'll verify what it is and that it exists and give you a paper to go to the DMV with it. The DMV will take their paperwork and issuse you a silver sticker with a hull number that starts with NJZ and a new Title.

Ask them about the trailer while you are there. The trailer is more of a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How small and how is the boat powered? Were they registered to him? NJ does not issue titles for trailers. Were they last registered in PA or NJ?
I'm just looking at some small Jon boats or other small type aluminum boats with electric motor or small outboard for lakes and possibly back bays. Looking on craigslist seems like a lot of the boats in this category do not have titles.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
NJ does issue titles for trailers. I have 4 trailers and all titled in NJ. I don't know how long they have been doing this but I had trailers titled in the 80's. I think the boat will be easier than the trailer, like Dunk said take the boat and bill of sale to the State Police, Port Norris does it I know.

·
Registered
596 Posts
with the trailer you needa bill of sale and get it notarized thats the easy
part boat with no title i have no clue

but i would get vin from the hull and get it looked up

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Trailer is no problem, the boat....fuggettaboutit

IF...BIG IF you can get NJ to give you a reconstructed title it will cost more to do so than the difference in price if you just bought a boat with one. Save yourself a huge headache and find one with a title!

I have gotten titles for boats/cars/bikes in NJ legally and illegally...you do not want to go through the legal process. There are websites that you can "sell" the "vehicle" to that are based in states without titles...they then sell you back said vehicle with a bill of sale from that state....loophole that is worth doing for something worthwhile...a jon boat is not worthwhile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.