BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's involved with checking out a used motor other than a diagnostic test for hours and RPM range and a compression test? And any idea on what it costs in Jersey area? Friend looked at a boat up in New England and the yard wanted $450 to look over the motor? Kinda curious what you get for this amount of money

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
When I first got my 125, I paid a mechanic to go over the motor. He did a spark test, compression test, checked lower end oil for metal shavings, check the prop shaft to make sure there was no wobble and was there while we ran the motor. Think we paid $200. Looking back, it was a waste of money because I can do all that stuff now but back then I was still fresh to bigger outboard motors. Newer motors can also be connected to computer and diagnostic tested. What type of motors? If they are yamaha, he might want to buy the YDS software and cable and check them himself. Will show hours, rpms, and any error codes. You can check everything while the motor is running to make sure it is in spec. I would also buy a compression gauge and check the motors as well.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I know a guy down here in Florida who just paid $100 to a certified mechanic to check out and report the condition of a 99 Evinrude 115hp.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know a guy down here in Florida who just paid $100 to a certified mechanic to check out and report the condition of a 99 Evinrude 115hp.
Wish I was down in Florida. Bout time you come back up here and open the shop. Drove by today and the Islands starting to wake up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts