BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought 50 to 130 class big eye custom made rods with out any rollers with the wind on leaders will it chip the ceramic guids and fray the line

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
ino rollers on 50-130 lbs rods??
never heard of tht
as for ur question im not sure but i wouldnt use wind ons

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
You will not have any problems using wind ons with ceramic guides. I have ceramics on my 30's and some of my 50's and have never had an issue while using wind on leaders. The wind on actualy goes thru the ceramic guides easier then standard roller guides.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
you should be fine if you have a good quality guide and the are big enough to pass the LTL..we have been doing more rods like this for the trolling guys, especially down in the caraloinas..get a good blank and a good guide setup and these will work great

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
i am not a fan of wind on rollers for tuna fishing. the only rods i have wind on rollers on are my 80 bent butt igfa rods. other than that i stick with fuji or american tackle turbo/speed guides. with guides it is one less thing that can go wrong.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Jay Weinberg said:
i am not a fan of wind on rollers for tuna fishing. the only rods i have wind on rollers on are my 80 bent butt igfa rods. other than that i stick with fuji or american tackle turbo/speed guides. with guides it is one less thing that can go wrong.

I am with you Jay "unnecessary hardware". I have them only on my 70VS and 130 set ups for Bluefin!

Sal

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay Weinberg said:
thats what they are i ment bullseyes thanks

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
I wind on every outfit I have... The open eye ceramics as mentioned above allow easier passage than rollers... The only problem I have run into with ceramic types is with certain brands of line heating up from friction with fast running fish like blue marlin or giant tuna. I switched a few years ago to Sufix line and that has never been an issue since. I do use another more expensive line on some of my roller sticks though that was among the types that heated up and let go on ceramic. Won't blast em by name publicly here though and I do believe in the product enough to have on some of my rolers...

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I wrote a post a while back dealing with this issue. If you have a rod built you can have 12mm guides closer to the roller top than traditional 10 mm, though 10mm have excellent clearance. You could also get your guides "epoxy fortified", that is, an external polymer bond on the outside of the guide. Also, six brace guides do have broader guide rings, and a stronger frame than Turbos, and can take more of a beating. Kevin Bogan

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Pacific Bay, Batson Ent. and American tackle. Most of the stuff is imported from China, Taiwan,and Korea, but all good stuff. Fuji's frames rust, and the are supposed to be stainless steel. Their a great guide if you dont mind the corrosion problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts