BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My usual back bay rig is a SPRO with a meat strip or minnow or spearing with a teaser about a foot up with a purple worm with a fire tail & either a small minnow or small strip bait. I have done really well with the teaser ;) :thumbsup: but just OK with the SPRO:(. Do you guys use gulp with a strip or minnow or what ??? , I have used gulp with just about everything but I have not had the success with it that I have been reading about. What do you guys use??? :huh: Thanks !!!

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
meat early on the tail and gulp on top teaser

Later when water warms switch to gulp on both

·
Registered
415 Posts
when i fish a bucktail with a teaser i usually catch most fish on the teaser, but if i fish just a single bucktail i will usually catch just as many fish so i think they just choose to hit the teaser. But, to answer the question i put gulp on both.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
From what I have experienced the teaser will usually outfish the bucktail regardless of what bait is on each...they like the teaser. I switch up as far as the baits go. Usually I have a gulp on the teaser and spearing or a strip bait on the bucktail. When using minnows I like the minnow on the teaser and gulp on the bucktail. With both setups it seems as if the fish go for the teaser more often.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use a gulp swimming mullet on a bucktail teaser tied dropshot style 1 foot above a 3oz. bucktail.Both catch well,a lot of bigger fish hit that teaser.Give it a try.

·
Registered
395 Posts
In the video he seems to just tie a surgeon's loop for the bottom bucktail. Is that the common practice? While I know it makes it a lot easier to change out the hardware for different conditions, doesn't the double line and the knot make the whole set up more visible to the fish? I usually just tie directly on to the spro and then trim the improved clinch tag as tight as possible.

·
Registered
148 Posts
in his book Skinner explains alot, it's a worthwhile winter-read definitely improved my jigging game dramatically... he uses a perfection loop (just like Fred/Chunking) typically for fluke so the bucktail gets a little more movement or a improved clinch in this situation directly to the bucktail, but that's mainly because he uses multiple setups with multiple weight bucktails.... if you are only using 1- setup and vertically jigging, using this setup, the surgeon's loop, or double/triple surgeons loop would make it easier for most people to switch out bucktails... if i know my depth/tide/ bucktail i'll tie it on direct with a perfection loop, if i don't and i'm hunting, i'll tie either multiple rigs and use a snap swivel between rigs, or do the double/tripple surgeon's loop like shown in the video.. seems to make the most sense to me and is pretty effective....

tight lines!

·
Registered
180 Posts
bucktailing

My usual back bay rig is a SPRO with a meat strip or minnow or spearing with a teaser about a foot up with a purple worm with a fire tail & either a small minnow or small strip bait. I have done really well with the teaser ;) :thumbsup: but just OK with the SPRO:(. Do you guys use gulp with a strip or minnow or what ??? , I have used gulp with just about everything but I have not had the success with it that I have been reading about. What do you guys use??? :huh: Thanks !!!
Small Gulp on the teaser...Gulp and either a spearing or small squid strip on the bucktail...Get fish on both, however when they are aggressive and plentiful...bigger meat gets bigger fish every time!!!

GOA :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
In the video he seems to just tie a surgeon's loop for the bottom bucktail. Is that the common practice? While I know it makes it a lot easier to change out the hardware for different conditions, doesn't the double line and the knot make the whole set up more visible to the fish? I usually just tie directly on to the spro and then trim the improved clinch tag as tight as possible.
You are constantly jigging the bucktail so if a fish can spot the double line he deserves his freedom

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get rid if the Spro BT, they are good only on boats due to the circle/hangar being on top of the jig instead toward the end, the Spro style are great on boats.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get rid if the Spro BT, they are good only on boats due to the circle/hangar being on top of the jig instead toward the end, the Spro style are great on boats.
Thats all I ever fish from :huh:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have a question and I don't think skinner is on this thread so I'm putting it out there for everyone. What is skinner using for his gopro camera to get that footage under water? I have a trolling package for mine but as far as filming my drift bottom fishing I'm looking for ideas? Anyone familiar with one?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a question and I don't think skinner is on this thread so I'm putting it out there for everyone. What is skinner using for his gopro camera to get that footage under water? I have a trolling package for mine but as far as filming my drift bottom fishing I'm looking for ideas? Anyone familiar with one?
im not a hundred percent on it , depends on your depth but he has it on a pole. I use my gopro with the underwater housing, and the handle bar grip attached to a paint extension pole for my offshore footage. One of his vids I saw was under 15 ft in the bay, so an extension pole could be used there.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I use a bucktail rig called a trailing teaser rig. The bucktail gets gulp and the trailing teaser will get a Lillie in spearing or possibly a strip bait.

In the bays and shallows. I have found this trailing rig seems to work better than a teaser up above the jig.

My favorite rig for almost all depths too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts