BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know there are bars on either side. i know there is a cut through on the left side heading out. i have never used the inlet. is it safe to run out the center of the inlet to go to the reef sites. i was in the inlet 2 weeks ago scouting. i saw the boats using the cut through. i was thinking of putting in at the last ramp on 7 bridges rd around 9.00am. low tide is around 6.00am. there should be enough water in that small channel to use ? i think its called rands ramp? i put in at chestnut neck when in that area but thought i would save some fuel and time using the ramp closet to the inlet.i normally fish the deleware bay but as everywhere fishing is slow. trying someplace new to me. thanks in advance

·
Registered
554 Posts
I hope others chime in as well but this is what I observed when I was fishing there two weeks ago. There is a bar that runs out that kind of starts on the north side near holgate and I think it starts veering south as it runs out the inlet. On a low tide you should clearly be able to see the waves crashing over the bar. I would reccommend sticking close to the south side, that is how most of the bigger boats go out the inlet. My best advice would be to follow a bigger boat out with a larger draft and save that on your GPS if you have one or just remember the route. Chances are he will take the south side. Keep a large following distance and if he stops really abruptly STOP because he has run aground. I saw a 40ft or so Sea Ray run agound in that inlet last year and it wasn't pretty. Be safe out there!

·
Banned
426 Posts
I stick to the South side by Little Beach, I heard that the bar on the Holgate side moved over the winter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I run out of Holgate every weekend. Have a 24' CC with outboard. In low tide, water is minimum of 15' deep 20 yards off the point of LBI. I never use the channel unless I'm running south. Shouldn't have any problems. I've seen much bigger boats with inboards go around the point in addition.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Save yourself the hassle and go in at Tuckerton vs. Chestnut Neck. If you go in at Captain Mike's, stay towards the left sod back as you go out. Markings for the channel are less than stellar to say the least. I had trouble coming back in at low tide but later found out that I should have stayed toward the right sod bank coming back in. I too had not been in that particular channel before so I learned the hard way. It's amazing to me how poorly marked the channels are in NJ.

My experience with the inlet is that the Holgate side has very good depth but that may have changed as the bars move according to nature's timetable.

Bob

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Strong-on-weaks said:
I think the last marina is Captain Mike's but don't quote me on that. The one before that one is Rands. Hopefully, I don't have them backwards.

http://captmikesmarina.com/index.php?GUID=0B372128-4B48-7B08-EBD2-00004865ED5A

It's the one which is fenced in.
You've got them right. And last year that is how the bar was set-up. This year I haven't run through the inlet yet but I have been told the south side is in beter shape then the north side. I was told the sandbar moved over to the north side through the winter.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would not try to sneek out the North side if you are unfamiliar with LE, be safe, stick to the south side.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Break the ice on the north side of the inlet when you come around the point if you keep a 90 degree reading you'll be ok i have a 25' grady with io's and have had no problems just use your head and watch sometimes the waverunners act brave.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I use the north cut all of the time. I have not used the south side of the inlet in over 3 years. The north cut saves a lot of time running to the reef.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
i went thur it today just after low tide, it had just started to come in. soild 4' to 6' in the north cut. there are deeper parts but that seems to be a good average at dead low under normal conditons. hard west wind and those numbers will change. right after the highest part of the bar it drops right to 30 some odd feet on the south side of the bar.. hence the rip that forms there. it does look hairy but it's really no problem. just follow some one who knows it the first time and then you'll know the way. you should have seen the boats stacked up this morning with the fog! nobody wanted to be first.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I run the north cut all the time.At dead low you have at least 5' depth.Just keep about 500-1000 yards from the point and you'll be fine.The south cut has changed a bit this year.Last year they moved the markers of the south cut.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use the north or side beach haven inlet all of the time. Hold ablot 50 - 100 ft off the beach and you'll be in no less than 6 - 8' of water all the way.

The waves can get pretty confused here though, particulary with wind vs. tide, but are generally manageable. The south or LE inlet is plan B, as it takes me quite a bit out of the way.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
A Frayed Knot said:
I use the north cut all of the time. I have not used the south side of the inlet in over 3 years. The north cut saves a lot of time running to the reef.

got to agree w/ ya on that one;) i always run that route and never had a problem. 25 ft center console
w/ outboard

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I used Rand's ramp last year it was $100 for the season and the owner is great. You can get in and out at low tide just watch when you plane off or drop off plane if it's low you'll kick up mud. I have'nt had any problems with ignorant people there and the ramp is not to steep. I learned the way out by watching others if your out on a weekend you'll have plenty of boats to follow. That fog in the inlet Saturday was impressiveit was kind of odd seeing the bridge of a boat looming because the fog was so low.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts