BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out I will be in Va beach for a few days at the end of January. Is there any worthwhile fishing there at that time of year?

·
Registered
3 Posts
fishing va beach is great in jan. lots of stripers. although dec is best for the big cows. cbbt is best place to fish. there is a boat ramp just over bridge in va beach. my best is in the 40lb range but my friend frank has caught bigger. he lives there year round and is a great fisherman.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I fish VA and NC coast every winter. Excellent Striper action. Don't limit your self to the CBBT. Stripers wintering off the obx can often be found at currituck beach and north which are in reach of va beach by boat...

Oregon Inlet is only a short drive from va beach so if you ask around and the action is to the south take the drive.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They said we are staying on the beach. More than likely I will need to fish the surf or go on a charter. I will look into this!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Being that the season is running late this year due to higher-than-normal water temps, mid-to-late January should be the prime time to be down there, rather than the usual late-December. Go get 'em man :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
EDIT: Hmm, don't know how it double-posted, sorry 'bout that.

[ 11-02-2005, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: cam ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes you do need a fishing licenese. there will be plenty of bass around when he gets there off beach or charter. ill be there in late dec.get out and catch them up. but dont keep more than ull eat. :cool:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should I bring my surf rod or charter? If I bring a rod I can fish daily. If not I am out 1x. I don't ever keep more than can fit on my plate that night.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Charter - the VA Beach chater boats run up and down the beach looking for fish.

The fish seem to come out of the bay and swim in deeper water eating bigger bait as opposed to baby bait that would swim in the surf.

The local fishing magazines down here are already talking about it. You can fish from the pier on the CBBT - they do have a lot of access and the fishing can be quite good but the crowds are intense.

Check out the Virginia Angler board on Tidalfish.com for a better idea of what's going on. The lower bay lit up the last few days in this hard SW blow.

[ 11-04-2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: PortlyRedhead ]

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have fished the CBBT a couple of times. Caught fish each time..but no cows. We were using soft plastics around the tubes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts