BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

Here's my fishing report from my vacation at OC the week of Aug 6-13.

Took the 14' boat with me as well as my Ocean Kayak Caper. We only had street parking so I needed to find a spot for the boat. I checked at Whale Creek, and Karen had not spots to park the boat but did have a slip. The slip was $175. I'm on a low budget, and was only going to use the boat one or two mornings, so I passed on that. I was willing to take my chance on parking it on the street but the wife didn't want the chance of it getting towed. I ended up putting it in the Airport parking lot for $80.

Surf report.. While at the beach we noticed what looked like small sandsharks sitting in 2-3" of water. We had a small seine net and scooped a few out. They were baby kingfish. I saved about 5 of them for bait. There were tons of small blues swimming in the waves. I used a small Kastmaster to catch some for bait.

Boat report...Took the boat out with my two boys(10 and 7). We launched at Corsons one morning from 6am till 9:30am. Lot of bait bitten in half by small blues. Had a few throwback and one keeper fluke.

A few days later we took the boat out at Corsons from 4pm till 7pm. We got a few throwback fluke. While drifting between the ramp and the inlet, my younger son hooks into something big. I could tell it was a big ray. He had a medium setup with 12 pound test, so we had to let it run out the drag. We fought it for about 15 minutes and got it up to the side of the boat. It was about 4' from tip to tip. We cut the line. It was a good fight, we handed off the rod to each other so we could all get a chance to fight it.

Kayak report...I got a channce to take the yak out two mornings. Each day I went from 6am till 10 am at Corsons. The first day I wanted to move around to get used to the yak in the inlet. I went from the ramp to the point to behind Strathmere. Most of the time I was trolling a jighead with a 4" *********** grub. Had many bitten in half. My last stop was near the ramp where two channels meet. I caught a 19" fluke and two 2lb blues. The water was clear and you could the the blues just sitting in current waiting for bait to drift out of the smaller channel.

The 2nd trip, I started off at the channel spot, but it was slack tide and nothing was going on. I then went to the inlet. Still using the jighead/grub combo, I caught 5 throwbacks, one 19" fluke, and an 18" weakie. All were withing casting distance of shore.

I like fishing from the yak ALOT.

One day, I took the kids to Corsons to hang out at the ramp so they could catch toads. In the middle of the day, using the jig/grub, and casting FROM launch area, I caught a 19" fluke and 4 throwbacks all from one small spot.

It was a good week.

Al

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Excellent OC Report Al,,
You about covered it all...Glad you had a nice vacation...

Thanks,,

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice report....Thanks..i really have to try this kayak thing, did it a while ago in the scouts, ya know...hmm..that was a long while ago..43 now..hahahha

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,

Next time you drive down the 100 W block of Marshall rd, keep a lookout for a blue van with a yellow kayak tied to the top. That's a sign that the wife gave me permission to go fishing. I usually tie it up the night before I go.

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.