BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow fisherman and woman, I am heading up into your part of town for a vacation next week and need some help. I will be staying in Ocean City and have access to a 19' CC.

It's my understanding that the Stripers are out of season? But I hear the flounder fishing should be good.

We don't get to many flounder down here in Florida, or should I say I don't target them that often. A doormat is pretty uncommon.

2 questions, first is about safety. With only having a 19' cc I am not to sure about heading offshore. Down here the weather can change in a minute how about up there?

2nd, Any suggestions as far as tackle, and rigs for flounder? Any specific bottom I should be looking for on the finder?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Snook crazy fisherman from Florida.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
MikeV,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard.....

I hope your stay in OC is a good one...
Great Time Of The Year....

Striper Season Is Still In Full Swing.
With this years cold/wet Spring everthing seems
to be pushed back a few weeks.. So water temps
are still favoritable for Bass fishing and with a little warmup over the weekend maybe the Fluke will turn back on...

Some of our boaters will be able to help you out
with your questions I am sure...

Good Luck,,,

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If the boat you have access to has a GPS/Chartplotter, check out the OC Reef. There has been a decent bite of fluke/sea bass.

As far as rigs go, home made rigs are best but you can pick up an assortment of pre-made rigs at any tackle shop. Fresh strip baits or squid/minnow combo will work for bait.

For the weather, just look for a day with 1-3' seas and little wind. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Plenty of stripers around early morning and evening just before sunset on poppers or dragging a bucktail
Flounder is a little slow and lots of shorts but there are fish to be found.
Try using fresh meat,shark ,sea robin and skake strips all working along with mackeral.
Keep strips short
Behind ocean City the stretch from 34th st to 9st bridge has been producing if you can get a good drift
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just took a look at the map and I wil be stying on Bayshore which looks pretty close to the 9th street bridge. As far as the bucktails, any specific color and weight? do I need to bounce them off the bottom? I will be bringing up my snapper rods with Shimano TLD's with 30lb. test. Any leader larger than that needed?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I troll 1 oz round bucktails with white twister tail worms against the tide, with the tide I drop down to 5/8's for stripers
Flounder I drift 1/2 oz white with fresh meat
30lb test is plenty ,I use 14lb on light fast action spinning rods with Quantum Cabo40's

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just got back from OC a few minutes ago. I missed the top of the tide due to mechanical problems. (I was fishing in the bay) I did pick up a nice 17" Fluke in the first minute of the first drift.(20th Street area), but that area cooled off quickly. Managed a short in Rainbow Channel just North of 9th st. I picked up another 17"er down by Ships Channel. So they were everywhere, but not in numbers. I did hear radio chatter that some boats were hittin em pretty good, but I don't know where. Maybe the ocean. Be careful of the inlet if you go outside. It can change quite quickly depending on the wind & tide. If you fish the bay I would spend the $18.00 for a chart, as there are a few shallow areas that you would rather not aquaint yourself with. The ocean houses some nice fluke, but the bay holds its share as well.
Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it is, it's a great place to live. I grew up in Madeira Beach. We've got a bad case of red tide going on right now which has just about brought the fishing to a halt. Last night's full moon tide is the best tide of the year to fish for Tarpon down here and looking at the reports this morning it seems like it was terrible. Hopefully I will have some luck up your way. I 'm looking forward to adding a striper to my list.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Mike do you have any surf equipment. I have been doing really good in the surf for BIG stripers. They are still around.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not really sure, going to my fiancee's house and her dad's gear is still there from what her mom has told me. He passed a few years back. I was planning on bringing my gear up but she tells me not to worry about it. We shall see.
From what Bucktail is saying I don't need the heavy gear I was going to bring. Worse case scenario, I can re-line what he has and go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If anyone is going to be out doing any surf fishing next Wednesday through Saturday and wouldnt mind a rookie surf fisher around let me know. From the looks of the map any area around 17th to 21st Street is only a few block walk from Bayshore.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey mike any luck yet? i cant believe you came north to vacation i cant wait till i get down there again, my mom lives off of 102nd ave and we use to stay in an apartment across the street from JD's i think it was 2nd ave.did you bring any crabby bills with you lol good fishing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts