·
Banned
9,261 Posts
NightMan,

Welcome To TheBassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard........

Here is The WebSite for Van Staal

I have a VS150 Black and Like Using It Very
Much,Had Alot of Success With It This Year..
Although just recently the Drag Clicker Broke
Off and is now silent.Don't Know If I Like It
Better That Way,But It Will Need To Be Fixed
When I Send it Off For The Yearly Service in
the Next Few Weeks....

·
Registered
8 Posts
NIGHTMAN i also have the vsn staal 150 in gold
color. my go to everyday reel.bought it at tackle direct .com and saved on the tax if you
have a out of state address.takes getting use to
not having a bail.and you must return to factory
for yearly maintenance to maintain there warranty
good fishing potsy

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Nightman

·
Registered
747 Posts
Looking over some of my Van Staal warranty cards I observe NOTHING about having to send them in for yearly service to maintain warranty in good standing. I understand this is now Zebco's policy. It appears to me now that Van Staal is all but dead. If Zebco is going to exercise such policy they will almost certainly lose the customer following for the product and may even find themselves with a class action suit against them. Van Staal used to sell a "do it yourself" maintenance kit. I think Zebco has yet another problem.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
VS150 owner here....awesome reel! I'll be buying another VS when the company is stable.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Van Staal Limited Lifetime Warranty

VS Series Spinning Reels come with a limited lifetime warranty that covers all defects in materials and workmanship. This warranty is offered only to the original owner of the reel. If the reel is found defective under the use for which it was intended, it will be repaired with the same or comparable parts at no additional charge. This warranty does not cover commercial use, misuse, abuse, or improper service. This warranty will be deemed VOID if the reel is found to have been subjected to unauthorized alterations, abuse, or damage by your failure to provide necessary care and reasonable maintenance as specified in the Product Care and Maintenance Guide.

Annual Van Staal Factory Service is performed for the minimal fee of $36.95. Reels can either be shipped directly to Van Staal or the owner can utilize the Authorized Van Staal Dealer of their choice as a drop-off and pick-up center. Your dealer will coordinate the timely service turnaround of your reels. There is no additional charge for this new, convenient service.

Reels that have not been serviced within one year will be deemed out of warranty. Reels that are out of warranty for non-compliance of Annual Service requirements or purchased second-hand can obtain full warranty reinstatement by paying the fee for Annual Service plus all parts and labor required to achieve full warranty condition.

Warranty Exclusions:
All wear items on the VS Spinning Reels are warranted for a period of one year from date of original purchase only. A copy of the original dated sales receipt must accompany all warranty claims.

I believe this is the Same Warranty that VanStaal offered Before the Sale to Zebco....

·
Registered
31,393 Posts
Profinity,
VS pretty much always had that policy. Maybe not in their first few years but it's been around for a long time.

You either send it in annually or buy the do it yourself kit, or the warranty is void. It's been a long standing complaint about VS and a major turn off for many customers. Especially with the long turn around time they had for the last 3 or 4 years.

If you haven't sent it in for a few years and do so now, after they bring your reel up to snuff with new parts you're back in good standing with the warranty. You can even do that if you buy a used one. Often expensive for those new updated parts though.

VS has always had customer service and warranty issues.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
nightman,
I would highly recomend VS. The smoothest, tightest, strongest, simplest thing I could imagine in a spinning reel. The best part is when you have a fish on the drag is sooooo smooth and the reel is soooo tight when you are cranking down on a fish. Go black...for the night ;) I don't think you'll be disappointed.

... Welcome to the Barn bud...

PROFINITY, The warranty program has always required that a reel be sent in yearly for service. Check out the link that NS provided above, it tells all. Zebco will reinstate good warranty status to reels which have not been kept up for a service fee.

Have had two warranty issues over a coulpe years and they took care of them pronto. Yearly service took a while last year but hopefully that will not be an issue in the future.

The hand action of putting the line on and off of the roller becomes second nature in no time. Feels wierd to me to use a spinner with a bail now.

Good luck

·
Registered
747 Posts
KS- My warranty card for my VS300 says NOTHING about sending it in for yearly service to maintain warranty. This is absolutely ridiculous. If you would like to see a copy of my warranty card shoot me an E-mail and I would be happy to send it to you. I will not buy any more Van Staal reels as a result of this policy.

Regarding the smoothness of the VS that is a joke. Have you ever used a Shimano reel? The Van Staal is a sturdy piece of equipment but it is crude. Try a Shimano Stella. The cost is comparable. The Stella smokes the Van Staal as far as drag and smoothness is concerned. They are not even close in comparison in terms of drag smoothness and operation. Shimano does NOT share such asinine policy as does Van Staal. If you like the VS's that much it might be a good idea to pick up what you want. I see them going BUH-BYE!

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
PROFINITY, I didn't say I liked the service and warranty policies, just that they are there and have been in place for quite a while. It is nothing new.Check out the other responses above.

Mine work good, real good, smooth as silk and tight as a drum. Didn't say that there are not any other quality reels out there. Different strokes for different folks. What I did say was that I use VS reels, I like them, and I would recomend them. And that's no joke...

·
Registered
747 Posts
KS- I like the VS reels since I bought them too. I'm not trashing you for enjoying VS. I simply will not buy or recommend a reel (in the future) from a company with such a service policy. My 150 series is less than a year old and I did not read the warranty card :( but the other reels state NOTHING about yearly service to maintain the warranty in good standing. There are many reels out there that are good but for the price of a VS and with such service they can keep them. VS's are very tough reels as you know and for applications where your reel is going into the drink and/or sand the VS may be the best to date. I find the VS drag to be very decent but again for the money I would rather have a Stella. The VS is not exactly a smooth operating reel, at least compared to other reels. Reel/tackle companies like Shimano are strong (financially stable) for a reason (service). VS has been in financial turmoil for years for a reason (service). The product is unique but it likely is not going to remain on the market with such a service policy. I hear (rumor) AVET is going to introduce a reel to the market to compete with the VS. If another reel comes to market with characteristics similar to the VS which many folks are fond of and is backed by a company with a normal warranty/service policy then VS is almost certainly history. I like my VS150 and am selling the others. Hopefully it will last a long time.

Tight Lines

·
Registered
31,393 Posts
Originally posted by PROFINITY:
I will not buy any more Van Staal reels as a result of this policy.
Unfortunately for VS, alot of people say that when they find out about the policy. VS reels do need maintenance since they are oil filled. VS's policy, in their mind, is necessary to get people to change the oil, kinda like mandatory jiffy lube.

Like it or not, it is what it is. Maybe Zebco will change it but the bottomline line is they do need annual maintenance, they're not like other reels because of the oil. They're designed for heavy surf use which the Stella can't handle. Don't say they can, they've proven they can't handle continual dunking and submersion.

One thing with VS reels, the more use, the smoother they get. You'll find heavily used reels much smoother then new reels.

Bottomline though, Saltiga beats them both. Waterproofing without the oil and maintenance, and they can handle all the drag you can. Not quite the swimming capable reel that the VS is, but more then enough for 99.9% of surf fisherman.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Bob, My VS has been in the drink, pounded by waves, grinding with sand and just keeps on going. Can a Saltiga stand up to that abuse?? I only ask because I am really liking them.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
This is a good thread. I was debating to go with a Saltiga or a VS and since i will be swimming with the reel at times to get to an outer bar and yaking with it at other times the VS150 sounds like the one.

As always, thanks Bob for the info!!

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Originally posted by Bob ECT:

One thing with VS reels, the more use, the smoother they get. You'll find heavily used reels much smoother then new reels.

[/QB]
That'll explain why my 100 is sooo smooth. ;)

by PROFINITY,

"If another reel comes to market with characteristics similar to the VS which many folks are fond of and is backed by a company with a normal warranty/service policy then VS is almost certainly history."

I agree 100%... I am an optimist though...Let's hope that Zebco "is" that company ;)

And now I'm off to pack it up and send it in for service, :eek: :( :rolleyes: :cool:

[ 01-06-2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Keeper Seeker ]

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
500 bucks for spinning reel is too much, 'specially if they are now owned by Zebco....my first reel was a Zebco push button and it was a real POS.
You can get 3 stradic for every one van stall

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I have a VS150 and it was worth every penny someone else paid for it :D .. a gift from my wife.

I believe It is the best reel for what it is intended for, period.

I would also give a heads up that if you are going to send it in for service, that you include a note saying specifically that you want to be contacted BEFORE any maintainence other than the basic clean-up is done..... parts for these puppies are very expensive and you can end up with a $200 repair surprise on top of your clean-up tab if you don't watch it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts