BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Van Staal's Stainless Steel Pliers, pictured here:

http://www.vanstaal.com/images/stainless_pliers.jpg

The are the model SP6500

I've heard alot of great things about the Titanium ones, but the price is a bit much. The stainless version looks like a good compromise. I currently have a set of Alutecnos Mako but I find the cutters frustrating to use because the line hangs up in the jaws from time to time. I think side cutters would be much more user friendly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MSax

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I like mine, and I second the motion for a larger pliers. Had it about 6 months now. Still look new.

·
Registered
423 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I think you're wasting a lot of money to have a cool name on pliers. If you get a 20 or 30 or even 50 dollar pair of pliers and simply clean/oil them regularly, they'll last you just as long. If you're seriously willing to spend 170 bucks on a pair of pliers because it says "Van Staal" on them, I'm gonna start printing that on everything in my house and sell it all on ebay and become a millionaire. What'll you give me for a Van Staal screwdriver? It's made of the highest quality steel and plastic. Don't worry, it never said Craftsman, that was a typo at the plant...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had a pair of them Van Staal's fancy pliers. Received them as a gift. They lasted 3 trips and fell in 100 fathoms of water.

Better buying the cheap ones unless your real careful with your stuff... which I am not. I would never buy good pliers... Manley or Japano are good enough for me. Save your money for fuel.

Oh yeah... they worked pretty nice until they fell overboard. You can attach them to a lanyard if you want.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I have had a pair of the Donmar stainless pliers for about 5 years. They are attached by lanyard to my wading belt, which goes out on the boat as well as getting submerged in the surf. The cutting blades are replaceable, work fine on braid or mono, and they last a season or so. No rust, hard rubber grips... totally feel I have gotten my money's worth out of them.

Think they were about $100 when I bought them.

·
Banned
490 Posts
I've had the van staal titanium pliers since 1999 and they have been nothing short of great i got them as a gift before going long range fishing and have been around the world since then! i'm not sure how i haven't lost them but they always turn up somewhere.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I had a pair of these and loved them.

Great for cutting braid , opening split rings and the case was really nice.
But like everyone says, they can go in the drink very easily. That said for 70 bucks, and the amount I used them, I would def reccomend them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a conversation with the guy from Van Staal and the main reason they are so good are the blades. He says they can cut through any line you would ever fish with quickly. For example the unfortunate event of leader wrapping your wrist or cutting off a shark. Any pliers will unhook a fish but the cutting is what is so important in the canyon.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
pliers are pliers are pliers are pliers

buy a 10$ pair, replace them each season

you'll get new pliers every season, and for $170 you can get 17 seasons worth of pliers.

think your vanstalls will survive 17 seasons? unlikely.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Kevin, would you say the same if it were a custom rod with his name on it for $15.00 extra bucks??? I didn’t think so:rolleyes: …. Sometimes people have and/or like different things…And that’s okay… ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
OCR Sean said:
I had a conversation with the guy from Van Staal and the main reason they are so good are the blades. He says they can cut through any line you would ever fish with quickly. For example the unfortunate event of leader wrapping your wrist or cutting off a shark. Any pliers will unhook a fish but the cutting is what is so important in the canyon.
I bet if you talked to the guy from Manley he'd tell you the same thing.

Hey, everyone is entitled to like what they like and spend money on anything they want. I'm not putting anyone down. Just saying. I'm gonna buy a 10 dollar pair and spend the other 160 on gas for my buddy's boat, which should get me about 6 or 8 trips. This way those 10 dollar pliers will REALLY give me my money's worth.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
OCR Sean said:
or buy a 6 dollar line cutter.

or use a bait knife.

or a pair of side cutters.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
zar2754 said:
pliers are pliers are pliers are pliers

buy a 10$ pair, replace them each season

you'll get new pliers every season, and for $170 you can get 17 seasons worth of pliers.

think your vanstalls will survive 17 seasons? unlikely.
I agree!

I get mine from Home depot...just hit them with WD40 and wipe them, with a paper towel after the trip to keep the rust in check...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have used a pair of the titaniums for 2 years and I have yet to change the cutters. They stay in a case on my belt attached to a lanyard and if someone wants to borrow them, they can as long as they are close enough so that the lanyard will reach. I never thought that a pair of pliers would be worth the amount they cost but in my estimation, they are a hell of an investment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not all pliers are created equal! Saying that a $10 pair of POS hardware store pliers are as good as the Titanium VanStaal is like saying a Lurhs is the same as a Hatteras. They are in two totally different leagues. The VanStaal’s hold up much better than any other pair of pliers I have ever owned. The cutters on them can cut 500 pound mono and the go right to 16 pound spectra. As far as loosing them, spend a few more dollars and get the holder and lanyard. And if the lanyard gets crappy after a few years spend $15 and get a new one.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Mike Roni said:
Not all pliers are created equal! Saying that a $10 pair of POS hardware store pliers are as good as the Titanium VanStaal is like saying a Lurhs is the same as a Hatteras. They are in two totally different leagues. The VanStaal’s hold up much better than any other pair of pliers I have ever owned. The cutters on them can cut 500 pound mono and the go right to 16 pound spectra. As far as loosing them, spend a few more dollars and get the holder and lanyard. And if the lanyard gets crappy after a few years spend $15 and get a new one.
Im not saying there created equal, or equal at all.

but i can assure you that $10 pliers will perform the same they will just need to be replaced much sooner.

200 dollars later you have awesome van stalls

or 200 dollars later you've had 20 pairs of cheap pliers, that have lasted one season a peice.

6 to one.
1/2 dozen to the other.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts