BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Venice, Fl for a week in March. I have been down there a bunch of times as my parents live there, but this time I am either going to rent a boat or go on a charter. Here's the specifics: I have a 4yr old son who sometimes likes going on the boat, sometimes he hates it but doesn't decide until we're already out there. (which requires turing around and dropping him off) -> that part makes the renting a better option. But then I have to bring my gear and decide what / where ot fish. So what I would liek to know is if you have a boat in or near Venice, what typs of fishing do you do and where do you go. Or, you can tell me that you think I should go on a charter and tell my son either he loves it and deals with it, or stays home this time. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
My in laws have had a condo down in Venice, FL for about 10 years. Most of my out of state fishing is down there. I mostly fish a little South of there, in a town called Placido. I found the PERFECT guide and he really takes care of me. I usually take a full day with him. The morning is for me! We can go out in the gulf, or sight fish for reds. Then we come back at lunchtime and my wife meets me at the dock with the kids. Then we do easier fishing with them like tossing white baits for snook, reds, trout etc. He is very kid friendly.

His name is Capt Jeff Totten. He has been on ESPN Redfish Tour.
Do a search on him in Englewood Florida. Mention my name, Tom Merighi from New Jersey. I have fished with him for tripletails, cobia, snook, reds, grouper, gag grouper, tarpon, and others.

Also- while in Venice....make sure you visit the Venice Jetty. It is a great place to fish also. I am not much of a Jetty fisherman by any means- but love to go there. The North Jetty has a bait and tackle shop right there. You can get live shrimp. The South Jetty has a GREAT hot dog stand. Wish I was there right now.

Feel free to email me with any questions. Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.