BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never fished for winter flounder before. I would like to give it a it shot in April before striper fishing. I have gone out a few times for summer flounder. My question is do I use the same tactics and bait? I typically fish the Raritan bay. I have only drifted before with gulp, killies, and squid strips. I just read an article in NJ Angler where they said to anchor and use mussels and small pieces of bloodworms. It also said to chum clam pieces and mussels. What would you suggest I try??? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Hang baited hooks off your chum pots, you can usually pick up a few that way.

Russ

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Seaclusion said:
...........I have gone out a few times for summer flounder. My question is do I use the same tactics and bait?........................................I just read an article in NJ Angler where they said to anchor and use mussels and small pieces of bloodworms. It also said to chum clam pieces and mussels. What would you suggest I try??? Any help is appreciated!
TOTALLY different from Fluke fishing.

Anchor.
Use a long pole to "churn up" the bottom.
Lots of clam chum, throwing some corn in with it too helps.
Small hooks, long shanks with pieces of clam or worm laying still on the bottom in the middle of your "churned up" chum slick.
The hooks on the chum pot tricks work and is worth the effort to set up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You can use canned corn broadcast out there, and or a can of catfood with punture holes in it as chum.

Anchor up by all means.

The old time sharpies bounced yellow painted sinkers.

Winter Flounder suck on a bait, you gotta give 'em a little time to get up to the hook, but not get away with the bait. As always experiance is the best teacher.

Been a while since I tried for them, maybe I will try to slip away for a few hours and wet a line too.

Good Luck! Please post your results...;)

Amphibian (Tom)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
anchor up on a dark muddy patch..chum heavily w/clam and mussells, bait ur hook with tiny pieces of clam, mussels or preferably bloodworms....fish right on the bottom..lift and drop sinker to make small puffs in the mud....the tip to put baited hooks on the chum pot is a great one...usually picks up a few fish....good luck.... used to be one of my favorites until numbers of fish started to fade...but there are still some to be had...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Double anchoring is the preferred method, really. That way there's a nice line from the chum to the fish. The yellow-colored sinkers DO work!

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
E-Mail NJ Angler

Honestly... email NJANGLER and ask for a copy of an article that was written last year on winter flounder fishing... it was a 3 or 4 pager that was one of the best "How to's... I have read. Great resource that went thru how, why, where, tackle, why the tackle, why the bait... really good read...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Caviar50 said:
I heard something today in a tackle shop about an early closure(Winter Flounder). Anybody hear anything?
The late opening will cut the catch a lot less than an early closure would. By the end of the season, they've pretty much moved out around here anyway. I'm speaking from northern Barnegat Bay/Manasquan River area.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Winter Flounder

Guys where in the Squan can I launch my boat?I usually come through the Pt.Pleasant Canal from Mantaloking.I'd rather launch right in the River if possible,HRL:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Anybody fishing from shore for winter flounder? I used to get some nice ones without a boat. AND the head boats used to anchor well within casting range of where we fished (used to see some unhappy faces on them folks) We did just as well as the folks fishing on them boats. But that was quite a few years ago. I was thinking about giving it shot this year and doing some research to update myself however everything about winter flounder these days seem to require a boat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts