BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of having a fun family trip with my Father, Big Sister Karen, and family friend Jack aboard for a low pressure fun jigging trip. All three were newbies when it comes to fishing the blue water. I picked Thursday due to the beautiful forecast and we headed out to the Big Rock area.

Before I get into the fishing, a bit of history on my Father. A bit over two years ago, my father was severely burned in an industrial accident. He was eating lunch in a control room in an asphalt plant he was visiting, when a huge service disconnect panel exploded. He was knocked out, and suffered 3rd. degree burns over 60% of his body and had severe lung damage from inhalation of superheated air and smoke. When I got to the burn trauma unit he was air lifted to, the doctors had a grim prognosis. The doctors gave him a 120 % chance of not making it through the ordeal. Well, after he spent the next 3 months in a drug induced coma while the doctors struggled to find enough good skin left on his body to do the numerous grafting surgeries, he fought through it and awoke. It was a terrible time for my family as we watched our hero lay lifeless on ventilators, while he weeped fluids soaking the hospital bed, while ventilators kept him going. Time and again they would send him to the O.R. to try and find more skin to fix the wounds. He fought through it all, endured unspeakable pain and now, a day before his 65 th. birthday, we fished together once again.

We enjoyed a smooth fast ride out to the first drop. Soon enough Dad was toe to toe with a reef donkey. His balance isn't what it used to be due to nerve damage in his lower body, so he sat on a cooler in the bow and bested many an aj. Karen and 73 year old Jack also got in on the action catching aj's, fat alberts and blackfin, then, mother nature threw us a curve ball. The wind came out of nowhere, the seas built and it was soon uncomfortable for the crew so I pointed the bow back inshore to calmer waters and watched the crew play catch and release on sharks and seabass

It wasn't a trip with boxes full of dead fish, however, it is my favorite trip to date. Being able to spend a day on the water with one of the people who started me fishing, a man who isn't supposed to even be on this earth, beats full coolers anyday !

THE FIGHTER, DAD !

JACK

SHARK WRESTLING

Dad with an AJ

Blackfin on the jig.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
That's an absolutely amazing story about your father. Proof that miracles do happen. That is a special trip for sure. Hope you guys have many more to come.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
John,

We are looking forward to fishing with you on February 24. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.

Peter

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
John, Great story. I am so glad to hear you were able to get dad out, what a priceless memory.

·
Registered
993 Posts
John, sorry to hear about the accident but glad he was able to get out with you. Hopefully many more trips to come.

What a shame, were there many other ppl involved in getting injured? I used to work for Tilcon, not sure what company he was at.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
john when you first reported about your dad it was a very sad story.. but today this post is a great story.. pops gets to go fishing with him son.. im sure you will remember this the rest of your life

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Before I get into the fishing, a bit of history on my Father. A bit over two years ago, my father was severely burned in an industrial accident. He was eating lunch in a control room in an asphalt plant he was visiting, when a huge service disconnect panel exploded. He was knocked out, and suffered 3rd. degree burns over 60% of his body and had severe lung damage from inhalation of superheated air and smoke. When I got to the burn trauma unit he was air lifted to, the doctors had a grim prognosis. The doctors gave him a 120 % chance of not making it through the ordeal.

Well, after he spent the next 3 months in a drug induced coma while the doctors struggled to find enough good skin left on his body to do the numerous grafting surgeries, he fought through it and awoke. It was a terrible time for my family as we watched our hero lay lifeless on ventilators, while he weeped fluids soaking the hospital bed, while ventilators kept him going. Time and again they would send him to the O.R. to try and find more skin to fix the wounds. He fought through it all, endured unspeakable pain and now, a day before his 65 th. birthday, we fished together once again. .......

It wasn't a trip with boxes full of dead fish, however, it is my favorite trip to date. Being able to spend a day on the water with one of the people who started me fishing, a man who isn't supposed to even be on this earth, beats full coolers anyday !

THE FIGHTER, DAD !

John, reading your description of what your Dad went through, and the specific language you used to describe it, put a lump in my throat.

That sounds like it must have been a horrible experience not only for your Dad but your whole family. Yet, as your story unfolds, he managed to fight through it, and survived....

Very glad to see a you received a miracle from above. I'm not as religious as some but have to believe God had a hand in his recovery.

I lost my Dad 3 years ago, and would do anything just to have him back for a day of fishin.

That is the most inspirational post I have read here in a while, and I thank you for shariing it with us. :thumbsup:

Best of luck this season, Capt. :wave:

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Pro, THATS THE KIND OF STUFF SUPERHERO's can do... :thumbsup: I am unspeakably glad your still fishing together my friend.. God Bless ur family!

·
Registered
423 Posts
This is the best fish story I've heard in a while. MAJOR kudos to you and your dad. I'm positive it meant more to him than you could imagine. I had a should've-been-dead work accident a few years back, and spent a month in a coma and many more months in rehabs, etc afterwards. My first fishing trips after that were some of the absolute happiest memories and most meaningful occasions in my life. There aren't words to describe it. All the best to you and your dad, and here's hoping for many more trips together for the future. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
Awesome!!! So glad your Dad pulled through and can fish once again with #1 Son. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Everybody ! The Barn community was very supportive during those tough times, and it sure meant a lot. :)

Here are a few more pics from another camera.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
John,

One of the best posts I have read in awhile on the Barn!:thumbsup: I'm glad things are getting back to normal for your father and your family.

It seems like yesterday that a bunch of us Barners meet up at the GAP in Conshy to help out your father and meet you and your brother.

Again that is one awesome trip you had there.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Absolutly AWESOME!!!!!!
Best post of the year!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts