BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get back into tying. Need some suggestions for a rock solid vise that will hold larger saltwater hooks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've been using a basic Renzetti Traveler model for the last 18 yrs and I love it. I've use it to tie everything from small freshwater nymphs, all the way up too 5/0 sized saltwater flies. So far it hasn't met a hook it couldn't hold. I've been so happy with it that I've never tried any other brands, but there are definitely some others that look just as good. I would definitley recommend a Renzetti, but would wait and see what some of the other guys have to say about other makes.

·
Registered
7,831 Posts
I love the Renzetti Traveler. Good for tying at home or taking to fly club events and get togethers. Should last for ever. If you tie as much as Yank then the Master might be for you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looking to get back into tying. Need some suggestions for a rock solid vise that will hold larger saltwater hooks.

I'd suggest getting your hands on a few vises and making your own decision. The first vise I always reach for when someone comes to the shop looking for one is the renzetti traveler. Renzetti is a great company, and Lily and Alan are a very involved in all kinds of local programs that benefit our community. It's also probably the best value in vises available today, and will last you a lifetime if you take care of it. I've owned Renzettis, DK's, and LAW's and I always find myself back on the Regal. The revo is just fun to tie with.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use the Regal and love it. Make sure you get one that revolves, it makes tying much easier. My other recommendation is if you are going to tie salt water flies be sure to get jaws that will hold the bigger hooks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Regal

you cant go wrong pricey but worth every penny:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
for about $100 you can get an Apex, which is what I use (believe it's called Anvil Apex). I'm told it's not a rotary, but since I got by tying for 8 years use a cheap clamp on vise, this is like heaven. Then again, if you ever saw my flies.... :D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Check ebay decient pricing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts