BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some older Hydra-Sports hulls, circa 1980 that look really nice! 24' CC to be exact. I've seen some reference to these hulls being made of Kevlar? :huh:

I'm guessing this is not a good thing as these hull types are not used anymore. What's the good and bad of Kevlar? Just curious... your answers will tell me if it's a good option as a restore project.

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
The hulls are not made of Kevlar. They have Kevlar reinforcing in the hull. They are made of solid fiberglass laminate, with Kevlar added during the lamination process. They are very solid boats. I don't know if one of those older ones are made with Kevlar. The Vector hulls for the last ten or so years have been made with Kevlar reinforecment, but I am not sure of the 80's models. Either way, they are built solid!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Hydra Sports starting making them with Kevlar in the middle 80's. Both there saltwater and freshwater boats. My father was the top sales dealership for them during these times. When they first started to play with it they had there problems like anything else new. I personally had the new 25' Hydra Sport out at the 5 fathom bank when the bottom fell out of the boat. It still got me into shore with more thren 1/4 of the bottom just gone. When the boat was returned to the factory they found it was not layed up right. It was not the only hull to do this. Changes were made with the lay up and have not heard of any others doing this since the change. I do not recall the year the changes were made.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Hydra sport Vector models that were built in the 1980's had the option of being layed up with a kevlar skin coat . If you look near the Hull ID number on the transom you will see where it is stamped next to it, with the words KEVLAR ,just like the hull ID number. Which ment the boat had a complete layup of Kevlar mat. The later model boats and select earlier models only have a kevlar strip down the keel and chines of the boat. Building a whole boat in kevlar is great, but it is expensive and more difficult to work with. Reguardless of the year, all of the Hydra sport Vector models were usually one of the better buys on the market due to quailty and ride characteristics.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I bought a new 1981 1800CC w/kevlar hull. The kevlar option was $600 extra for that boat. The kevlar lable is embedded in the port side just like the HIN. I have some pics around somewhere showing the label when the boat arrived from the factory. At that time, the HS CC was the top rung for quality. Welded SS rails, teak detailing, aggressive non-skid decks, larger storage, Bronze thru-hulls. live wells, fish storage, larger fuel tanks and deeper vee, than any other CC of its class. The only other production boats close in quality were the Boston Whaler, and Pursuit, I looked at EVERY brand available many times before plunking down my money. Sold that boat to Freddie Kawletter in Vineland and he still fishes HS's.
A good condition 24 HS CC is a very nice fishing platform.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I bought a new 1981 1800CC w/kevlar hull. The kevlar option was $600 extra for that boat. The kevlar lable is embedded in the port side just like the HIN. I have some pics around somewhere showing the label when the boat arrived from the factory. At that time, the HS CC was the top rung for quality. Welded SS rails, teak detailing, aggressive non-skid decks, larger storage, Bronze thru-hulls. live wells, fish storage, larger fuel tanks and deeper vee, than any other CC of its class. The only other production boats close in quality were the Boston Whaler, and Pursuit, I looked at EVERY brand available many times before plunking down my money. Sold that boat to Freddie Kawletter in Vineland and he still fishes HS's.
A good condition 24 HS CC is a very nice fishing platform.
hey duke . that is Klawitter. He don't use her much anymore. he gets to many rides on other peoples boats. That man can build one hell of a fishing rod.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
>>>hey duke . that is Klawitter. He don't use her much anymore. he gets to many rides on other peoples boats. That man can build one hell of a fishing rod.

Sold her to Fred in 1985 or 86...
Anyway, found the pic I was looking for.
View attachment 13394
Talking to an HS rep at a boat show, he said the reason they stopped Kevlar use was the new on the scene triaxial fiberglass materials were just as strong and cost much less.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
As others have said it was layed up for reinforcement and encapsulated in the fiberglass. Only the chines and keel were reinforced as I recall. In addition to being cost prohibitive to layup an entire boat with it, Kevlar is susceptible to degradation from ultraviolet light so if it is exposed it will break down. Thats why AlliedSignal developed Spectra in the first place. Spectra is not susceptible to degradation by ultraviolet light. Spectra was derived to replace Kevlar in bullet proof vests because when the Kevlar broke down it would fail.

I worked at AlliedSignal back in the 80's when they were testing Spectra. The things we tested it for would blow your mind. Firing 20mm depleted uranium tank rounds at Spectra panels up at Piccatinny Arsenal. The spectra would literally catch the 20mm DU, it could not penetrate. We also made bullet proof vests that could stop a high powered rifle round. They had titanium plates of varying shapes and sizes sewn in that would distribute the impact across a larger area of the body to minimize bodily damage from the energy of the impact.

It was cool stuff, in some ways I wish I was still working with the guys who dreamed up some of that stuff. Some extremely intelligent people worked there. I wasnt one of them... :D

Brett

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
We add kevlar/epoxy reinforcing to some of our Sea Tow boats..

It is very abrasion resistant compared to the normal glass/polyester resin layup.

The Avalon area Sea Tow boat just got it's bow reinforced....so now I can grind the concrete ramps away instead the other way around...;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Hydra Sports starting making them with Kevlar in the middle 80's. Both there saltwater and freshwater boats. My father was the top sales dealership for them during these times. When they first started to play with it they had there problems like anything else new. I personally had the new 25' Hydra Sport out at the 5 fathom bank when the bottom fell out of the boat. It still got me into shore with more thren 1/4 of the bottom just gone. When the boat was returned to the factory they found it was not layed up right. It was not the only hull to do this. Changes were made with the lay up and have not heard of any others doing this since the change. I do not recall the year the changes were made.
Not trying to get too nit picky here, but Pete Barrett of the NJ Fisherman Mag bought a 2100 CC with Kevlar in I think 1979. His descriptions of the weight savings of the Kelvar allowed for larger fuel tanks is one of the reasons I went Kelvar when I ordered my boat in the fall of 1980 from Atlantic Sportfishing in Pt Pleasant. At the time, the 19' Mako only had a 32 gal tank. My 18' had 40 gal. With only 90 hp Evinrude, I would top out in mph exactly even with a friends 1977 19 Mako with 135hp Johnson. Of course, this was all before HS was bought by OMC in the late eighties.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Not trying to get too nit picky here, but Pete Barrett of the NJ Fisherman Mag bought a 2100 CC with Kevlar in I think 1979. His descriptions of the weight savings of the Kelvar allowed for larger fuel tanks is one of the reasons I went Kelvar when I ordered my boat in the fall of 1980 from Atlantic Sportfishing in Pt Pleasant. At the time, the 19' Mako only had a 32 gal tank. My 18' had 40 gal. With only 90 hp Evinrude, I would top out in mph exactly even with a friends 1977 19 Mako with 135hp Johnson. Of course, this was all before HS was bought by OMC in the late eighties.
My mistake earlier, Fred must of sold the boat he bought from you. He now has a 1989 cc hs that he bought new,

·
Registered
1 Posts
NY Navy flyer

I have a 1978 2100 CC, she is a Kevlar 49 model, this boat is a solid performer, I put a custom t-top and leaning post on it. after going through a few OMC engines, I moved over to Yamaha and currently have a 150 HPDI hanging on the back. I gutted the transom and replaced it with a sea cast composite transom and then built a plate system to fit over the transom. just adding a few newer updates this year, like a blue tooth stereo, newer touch switches and circuit breakers. This is a great boat, too bad I cannot put photos on here...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Starting our third season on a 1992 2000 cc. Didn't know a lot about HydraSports when we bought it, but after some research it is my understanding that kevlar was used in the hull for all boats made out of the Tennessee plant which includes our boat. I can tell you that we are extremely happy with this boat. A fantastic performer even in rough seas. The boat was well maintained when we got her and the finish still looks great for a 25-year old boat that has lived outdoors its whole life. Can't wait to get her back in the water.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts