BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys---
I recently began switching over the hooks on all the plugs I use, from Mustad to VMC...I've always heard good things about this brand of hook, and finally have gotten around to using them....So far, I'm very impressed with the strength and quality of VMC; my % of landings has definetely increased, and it seems like they are more rust-resistant than other brands..... To any of you hard-core wood pluggers out there--- do you change out your factory/installed hooks to VMCs or better brands? I'm a bit apprehensive about putting on new hooks (split eye) for fear of the hook eye un-bending/coming off while landing a fish....Many of the pre-installed hooks (already on the plug) are securely fastened....Any tips??? Thanks---Mike

·
Registered
178 Posts
RocDoc-Wooden plugs do not-I repeat do not catch fish!!Best idea is to send them to me so I can safley dispose of em for ya!! :eek: Call me when you get free time,it's easy.VMC won't bend on ya.Albies coming up soon Mogan!!!Time for da Hook!!! :D You're humpin to the tip with me and the bro this fall :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Take off the old hook (they usually break at where the eyelet was cut to put them on pretty easy) and put on a proper sizes splitring for the treble you put on... VMC's are good hooks... just hate to use French products....

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Yup, VMC's are the best bar none...
After you have cut off the stock "open eye" style treble, add a split ring.
Roscoe Heavy duty are easy to find online and are plenty strong. When buying them make sure they have the "H" after the number...ie...
4H is great for smaller plugs,small bombers, smackit's etc... 5H is great for bombers, yozuri's etc.... 5.5H good for your small to mid-size wood, 6H good for your larger stuff, magnum bombers, 2oz. wood plugs etc. good luck

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Very Good Advise Guys,,,

Tnanks,,,,

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone...Does adding a split have a negative effect on castability, though? Seems like it may promote spin, as the hooks will be further away from the main body of the lure.....Thanks--M

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I am just starting to get into plugging and bought a few gibbs plugs today and was wondering about how to switch the hooks on the plugs well my questions where answered thanks guys ;)

[ 07-30-2005, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: wentfishn47 ]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by rockdoc:
Thanks for the replies everyone...Does adding a split have a negative effect on castability, though? Seems like it may promote spin, as the hooks will be further away from the main body of the lure.....Thanks--M
Nah...you wont notice a bit of difference at all with the little bit of added hook swing. VMC's have a nice short shank so you get just enough swing in the hook.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts