BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
small boat - anything under 26 feet

offshore - a mythical place that varies from person to person, generally starting from anywhere you cant see shore, out to the place where you fall off the edge of the earth, sometimes called the "canyons". Generally speaking, guys start considering offshore like 30-35 miles if you are a shark fisherman, 60-85 miles if you are a canyon fisherman, and 500 miles if you are a heavy displacement cruising sailboat...

miles per hour / miles per gallon - land based term used by some guys to describe the speed and economy of their boat.

"NOAA really blew it" - phrase uttered by guys who get beat up after running their go fast boat into waves / swells by going too fast for conditions on the way back from "offshore"

"blowing 20-25" - wind speed about 12-14 kts sustained with a big fetch so it pushes the water up just a tiny bit.

"6-8 ft seas" 3-4 ft seas with an occasional wave that meets up at the crests and makes a 5 footer in there.

OK guys, theres tons more out there. It would be great if you could help me make TBB's best ever nautical vocabulary list. Its February, so either do this or go melt some lead and fry up your brain :)

:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
"got four in the box, and it's only 8"-you haven'y caught s*** and you and your buddy each popped a beer.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Add this one.

Presumptive Jackass: A Bassbarn member who thinks every other member is a dumbass fool.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
Dream Team - what the fans of the Philadelphia Eagles call their team. I think they must dream that some day the Eagles will win the Super Bowl.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
White Marlin Fishermen - Guys down at the Canyon Club who roll onto their 60' Viking with Louis Vuitton Luggage, complain when the AC runs above 68 degrees, and turn tail as soon as it kicks above 15 kts. and/or 3-4' @ 8 sec. Known to fly flags for every white marlin seen that day (or thought to have been seen). When actually tuna fishing, must drag 8-600yd spectra lines across the smallest CC in the fleet claiming "He was in your way and you were on some nice marks."

Tuna Fishermen - Guys with boats they can barely afford yet spend $800 on spreader bars a week. Frequently will send their best friend from grammar school to a canyon 120 miles south, claiming a "hot bite", just to not have their spot burned. They view white marlin as the scourge of the ocean and pray to god NOAA goes under with Obama's Solyndra Co. Follow the tuna migration around the world like a 15 yr old girl follows Justin Bieber.

Shark Fishermen - Guys who have boats as old as their grandmother that keep the water out as well as she keeps it in. Facial hair styling similar to Rip Van Winkle. Have been known to send .50 cal rounds at shearwaters disrupting their slick. Also known to stick 20 lb. mako's with an 18' commercial harpoon and claim to their buddies she "went nuts at the boat". Often smelled before seen.

·
Registered
489 Posts
80lb yellowfin=50lb yellowfin
40lb striper=30lb striper

"awesome trip"--saw 2 white marlin, hooked 0, caught 3 mahi and may have had a wahoo bite off a trolling lure..all for 300 gallons of fuel, plus bait, food, ice etc

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
"Jigging setup" - a custom blank acid wrapped rod with the smallest reel possible throwing 90lbs of drag with spectra that costs three times a much as anything else all for at least 1.5k. Forgot about the $50 jig attached. Great for bluefish:D

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
Got the Skunk - picked up the last girl at the bar at closing time, or what happens on a bad day of fishing and you return to the dock with an empty cooler.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Got a monster, but he went into the wreck = I hooked the wreck, but I can't tell the difference

I got dumped by a monster=I forgot to set the drag

He broke me off=I forgot to set the drag

He bit me off/the line broke/the swivel broke=I can't tie knots

Top of the line rod and reel=most expensive one I could find

"I only fish inshore"=I get seasick when I can't see land

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Tackle Box Forum- The forum that no sponsors use to promote new tackle instead they clog up the whole offshore forum with junk trying to outdo one another.

Wolfpack- We got covered up in a wolfpack of 30 pound yellowfins.

Yellowfin- When your bluefin fishing in 20 fathoms this is what a bluefin turns into when you already caught your limit and you want to keep more fish for the day.

Old Grounds- A secret place to catch fluke that a certain captain discovered but once people started talking about it on the Bassbarn it got overfished.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Missed 'em . The term beginner flounder fisherman use about 30 times a day as they drift along and grab bottom for a second or even bump bottom.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Priceless. Yet bait is still fine.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Hard core CC guy - Usual proud and hard to admit, he is to damn broke to afford a big boat. Not to be excluded is the exception. That is the rare case of person having access to SF and/or funds to move to bigger boat but takes too much personal enjoyment of challenging self and defying others. Historically this is where most salts got started.

SF guy - Financially successful man. Would get winded loading the CC guy boat and unable stand for hours at a time. However, this does not exclude the younger man that really never worked for much in life and never enjoyed a work hard / play hard lifestyle. However and historically, almost without exception, this is where the CC guy ends up, sooner or later.

Fisherman - Doesn't really care about any of the crap above. Just wants to fish..

I teach to enjoy both, just haven't fully taught self yet....

1 - 20 of 80 Posts