BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read something in the latest BOATING magazine about a Mercruiser/cummins diesel engine. Stats all looked pretty impressive, I had never heard of mercruiser and cummins teaming together to build a diesel. After further research they are really VW TDI engines! Kind of interesting although getting the VW parts is probably expensive/time consuming. Anyone have any thoughts on these?

http://www.cmdmarine.com/Product2/VW_index.html

·
Registered
596 Posts
wouldn't be surprised the yanmar diesels are bmw engines

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
The tdi 1.9 is an awesome engine used in the older vw cars. I get 50 mpg in my 2003 jetta. If it gives that economy in a 18-20ft boat could be a winner, if it doesn't cost a fortune.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
parts didn't hold up in saltwater, especially waste gates, panga's were using them for awhile in an i.o. version and the older engines were a nightmare in a saltwater environment. hopefully they corrected the problems.

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd want a motor with a timing belt in a marine environment.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I'd want a timing chain. The belt is cheap and will deteriote over time. On car engines they must be replaced every 60,000 miles or you may have a serious and expensive problem.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
I'd want a timing chain. The belt is cheap and will deteriote over time. On car engines they must be replaced every 60,000 miles or you may have a serious and expensive problem.
Depends on the car, my 03 tdi has a 100,000 mile interval. That means it should be good for atleast 1000 hrs before a change? When I bought my car last year is was still on the original 8 year old belt and had 130k miles.

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Only on an interference engine, and there aren't that many out there. Dealers hyped it up a lot to sell the 60k service

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
Only on an interference engine, and there aren't that many out there. Dealers hyped it up a lot to sell the 60k service
A VW engine is one and it will cause serious damage.
I've never looked at the VW marine engine so I have no idea how they isolate or seal the covers around the belt but the environment has to be rather harsh. Just something I'd shy away from if in fact it did have one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
VW engines

In my early years of concrete cutting, the hydraulic power unit of choice was an industrial VW engines, looked and sounded just like a Beetle engine. The engines we last made in South America, but were very powerful and lasted a long time in a very harsh enviroment. We ran these hydraulic units to turn out 25 gallons a minute at 2500 psi, not bad for a small engine and I am sure they would make a fine marine engine from our experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts