in New Jersey and to monitor trends in their populations. In addition,
the data will be used to determine the success of grassland preservation
and management programs.

If you are interested in participating in this survey, please contact
Dr. Nellie Tsipoura, 11 Hardscrabble Road, P.O. Box 693, Bernardsville,
NJ 07924, tel. (908) 766-5787 / fax (908) 766-7775,
[email protected].

Volunteers are also needed to collect data on shorebird abundance at
beaches from Cape May to Sandy Hook and along the Delaware Bay.
Participants must be able to identify shorebirds in breeding plumage and
be willing to visit their sites approximately once a week from May 7 to
June 7. Training in identification and counting methodology will be
provided by NJAS. This project is a collaborative effort of NJAS, the
New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife's Endangered and Nongame
Species Program, and the Manomet Center for Conservation Science.

The data collected by volunteers will be incorporated into the national
database of the Program for Regional and International Shorebird
Monitoring (PRISM), whose overall goal is to monitor trends in shorebird
populations. In addition, the information will help identify areas
important to northbound shorebirds and define shorebird management goals
for New Jersey.

If you are interested in participating in this survey, or if you have
information about sites along the coast that support large numbers of
migrant shorebirds that should be included in our list of sites, please
contact Dr. Nellie Tsipoura at the contact information previously
listed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Remeber guys this is the same group of people who would like to keep you off the beaches of deleware bay, if you help these people you may be cutting your own throat.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I wish I could volunteer for this but I'm too booked this Spring. I would encourage anyone interested in learning more about birds and how they are being managed to do this - I absolutely don't agree with Fred that your cutting your on throat. On the contrary, you would be getting first hand knowledge and connections with how shore birds and beaches are managed and the people who manage them. You would also be bridging the gap between this "Us and Them" thing that has developed between fishermen and anyone else who has an differeing view on resource management. These folks, birders mostly, would get to see that fishermen are real people who are also concerned about lots of shore issues.

It sounds like a great idea to me and will at a minimum, give the person volunteering a better grasp on the issues revolving around shore species management.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I would be concerned that by participating, you are claimed as a volunteer that supports their political agenda. I think Ocean Conservnacy used to do this. If you participated in their beach clean-up program, you were claimed as an opponent of Freedom to Fiash.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I hear ya Egg and I know some fishermen groups that do the same ting. It depends on who your volunteering for, a political organization (like Ocean Conservancy or JCAA as examples, there are others but i won't go there), the gov't or the scientists who study these issues.

i've never been one to worry about which side of some line I'm lining up on over actually learning something - it isn't an issue for me, but your right, for those who are concerned with such things beware. Know who your volunteering for and where the funding is coming from and how, potentially, the information is going to be used.

My thinking has always been and will probably always be, the more of us that are insiders into beach management, bird management, fish management, etc..., the better we all will be at debating beach closures and MPAs.

Knowledge will set you free...
Plato and the Cave - man!!!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
scerw me once it's on you screw tiwce it's on me, wow what a concept!

i done some work with em and all have hidden agendas

freedom ots.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Screw them bird lovers!!...What's the big deal about them birds anyway?Oh yeah,they eat horseshoe crab eggs.Which means anyone who wants to use these crabs has to get in line behind the piping plovers!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Meanwhile..........The birds are dieing from a virus,not because there is not enough food,besides where I catch my crabs the smaller birds do not have a chance at the eggs because the gulls get them first.I am with fshlot SCREW THE BIRDERS they would do the same to you and me.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Can you do the survey with a scatter gun?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You guys are too funny!!!

Call me a romantic but for me them boiyds is part of the experience. I remember riding out one nasty late spring sqawl line with rubrbsct that came across the big D and hit us on the Cape May jetties. The rain went sideways for a bit and the ocean turned emerald green in that eerie way that it can change so fast. We hunkered down at the base of the jetty to avoid getting washed off from the stormy wave action that enhanced the unusually big swell coming in off the ocean. in the midst of all this a pod of pelicans appears right by us, out of the fog and mist, flying by with a look as if to say they had seen all this before - the storm didn't phase them a bit.

Or, riding back at night, stripers hanging off the back of my beach bike and flushing out the shore birds at the edge of the surf - call me crazy but I would miss them if they were gone.

Either I'm a romantic or I guess I need to go fishing soon or call the therapist...Hahahaha.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Agreed, Fred.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Birds help me catch fish.I love birds.Just never really got a handle on "birders".I bump into them all the time,during seasonal migrations,they just as a group do not seem to have a clue!
Maybe its just me?

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's not you....I am a recovering hard core birder ...now I'd rather fish and help support the economy in that way. Most are really nice people who like to get out and hike around and enjoy life-just like us. Some are elitists who only see the world through their own lens which can be too narrow- and are a real pain in the *** for that reason. I was a field trip leader for about 20 years in the midwest until I came back to jersey 3 years ago, so I know of what I speak. It's all good but there's other stuff to do like fish. why not enjoy both? Some are quite odd though...(like me..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts