BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just looking for some input on different types of waders. I've only owned neoprene stocking with the lace up boots, but the time has come to get a new pair.
Are the boot foot waders just as durable/comfortable?
Also would like some feedback as to the type of material, I've been hearing lots of good things about the breathable waders. Most of my wading is when the water temps are less than 60 degrees. Do the breathable provide enough insolation?
Lastly I would like to know of a good shop that has a variety of sizes, looked around today and finding a size 10/11 is near impossible.
Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Frank,
I went with the stockingfoot waders some years ago
and just love em.. ,very comforable...
I also like having the Neoprenes for warmth
I use 5mm for the Spring & Fall and I have
a pair of 3mm for the Summer months...

I did notice that after a few seasons I Wear
out the feet,but I do use them alot.
The key there is to use the ankleguards that
come with them to keep the sand and rocks
from getting between your boots and the waders...

The bootfoot attached waders I felt were just
a little to heavy for the walking I do in them..

[ 02-04-2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
186 Posts
i don't have much experience with different types of waders -- just this season i got my 1st pair ever -- goretex bootfoot breatheables -- and i only bought them 'cause it was on season closeout at over 50% off!

but they have been great! -- i could wade into the water up to the 1st week of december with no problems. wearing several layers of socks and sweatpants of course....

i chose bootfoot just for convenience i guess..a one piece setup...

you might try tackle direct in OC... they seem to have a lot of stuff on display you could try out..

just from reading through other posts..it seems breatheables are less sweaty, stinky, cooler in warm weather... neoprene warmer in cold weather.. but i was good to go even in december..

·
Registered
908 Posts
Far26...
Bass Pro Shops has a pretty good selection. I just bought a pair of white river breathable bootfoot size 10. My friend had the same pair for the past two seasons and wore them through December also. Leaks haven't been an issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have White River Breathables(bbot foot) from Bass Pro Shops, they work pretty well, two seasons with them..no problems..bought a pair of fleece underliners(like sweat pants but polartec)with stirrups..wear heavy wool socks when colder..nice and toasty..don't walk much but back and forth to the truck when on the beach..I could see where you would be more mobilewith the stocking foot waders and a good pair of boots. Murph

[ 02-05-2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Murphman ]

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you can get a copy of Cabela's master catalog, they have a compairson (pros/con/price) of all the boot foot and stocking foot waders they sell. In my case, they got a pair of waders from another store, and had it shipped to their Hamburg store so that I could try on a pair. THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I have a pair of 5MM neoprene stocking foot waders. Even with the ankle guards, the sand fills up inside my wading shoe and becomes uncomfortable. I am going to try breathable boot foot waders next pair I buy.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Just purchased a pair of Pro-Line breathables. FIshermans Supply in Pt. Pleasant$149.00. Call see if they have your size if not they'll order them.
What about advertisers here on the BB ?

Scarface

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Breathables are the way to go...you can always where fleece pants underneath in the colder months. I switched and the mobility is second to none. I wear the stocking foot and have felt soul wader boot for trout fishing. It may take a couple of extra seconds to get them on, but they are worth it. You won't be disappointed! Send me an email when you decided what you want before you buy..... ;)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Far26, the Stocking waders are the way to go vs. the booted waders. After about 2 seasons the boots start to crack and no matter how much glue sealant you put on them they will leak.

I have a pair of breathable waders and neoprene.
The breathables waders are great for backbay summer fishing to keep dry and keep bugs away. Not good for weather below 50degrees or water below 60.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
By far the best waders I've seen are breathables by Chota.

I hate stockingfoots- had problem with sand geting in my boots.

Chota's Tellico Shoal Waterproof/Breathable Boot Foot Waders have significantly raised the bar for wading comfort and convenience. Featuring a revolutionary lightweight neoprene/rubber boot with Chota's exclusive QuickLaceT System, the new waders offer the slip-on and -off convenience of a boot foot design with the ankle support and walking comfort of a stocking foot & wading shoe wading system.

The wader foot is constructed of 100% SR, low-compression neoprene, lined with polyester fleece, and encased in a lightweight vulcanized rubber outer boot. With no seams to chafe or leak at either the heel or toe, sturdy vulcanized rubber toe caps and heel counters for added foot protection and snug, semi-ankle-fit construction, the Chota wading boots offer extreme durability and comfort without extra weight.

For added foot support, Chota's exclusive QuickLaceT System tightens against the boot's neoprene/rubber "tongue" to securely lock the wearer's heel into the back of the boot without binding or cutting off circulation. When properly tightened, the wearer's foot will not slide or "swim" inside the boot, and excellent lateral support makes walking, climbing and wading an unexpected pleasure. The QuickLaceT System is very easy to adjust and the loose lace ends tuck under an integral neoprene flip-down lace guard to prevent tangling. The boots also feature gray polypropylene felt wading soles - which are superior to nylon felt because polypropylene will not absorb or retain water and take on added weight.

Wader uppers are made from two specialized waterproof/ breathable laminates. The lower waders are constructed of a rugged, heavy-duty nylon waterproof/breathable laminate with a double-layer, articulated knee for comfortable walking and kneeling. The material above the waistline is a premium lightweight waterproof/breathable laminate offering exceptional drape for superior fit and comfort. Both the uppers and lowers are treated with DuPontT Teflon®, DWR (Durable Waterproof Repellent) finish to enhance breathability.

Finally, the new Tellico Shoal waders feature comfortable, lightweight suspenders which easily serve as a belt to convert the waders to waist-high use, an adjustable wading belt held securely in place with integral belt loop and a unique flip-out, inner, zippered security pocket.

[ 02-06-2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Brian E. Mullaney ]

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by foggynotion:
In my case, they got a pair of waders from another store, and had it shipped to their Hamburg store so that I could try on a pair. THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Hey Don...ya should have told them who you are. They probably would have shipped'em right to your house ;)

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Far,

I'd recommend checking out "Simms Lightweight Bootfoots". They are made from super Light GORE-TEX material. The boots are neoprene-lined with a felt sole. Super Sweet!

Check them out at Tackle Direct located on 9th St. in Ocean City NJ.

BTW, Tackle Direct supports TBB.com!

[ 02-06-2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Originally posted by Brian E. Mullaney:
By far the best waders I've seen are breathables by Chota.

I hate stockingfoots- had problem with sand geting in my boots.

Chota's Tellico Shoal Waterproof/Breathable Boot Foot Waders have significantly raised the bar for wading comfort and convenience. Featuring a revolutionary lightweight neoprene/rubber boot with Chota's exclusive QuickLaceT System, the new waders offer the slip-on and -off convenience of a boot foot design with the ankle support and walking comfort of a stocking foot & wading shoe wading system.

The wader foot is constructed of 100% SR, low-compression neoprene, lined with polyester fleece, and encased in a lightweight vulcanized rubber outer boot. With no seams to chafe or leak at either the heel or toe, sturdy vulcanized rubber toe caps and heel counters for added foot protection and snug, semi-ankle-fit construction, the Chota wading boots offer extreme durability and comfort without extra weight.

For added foot support, Chota's exclusive QuickLaceT System tightens against the boot's neoprene/rubber "tongue" to securely lock the wearer's heel into the back of the boot without binding or cutting off circulation. When properly tightened, the wearer's foot will not slide or "swim" inside the boot, and excellent lateral support makes walking, climbing and wading an unexpected pleasure. The QuickLaceT System is very easy to adjust and the loose lace ends tuck under an integral neoprene flip-down lace guard to prevent tangling. The boots also feature gray polypropylene felt wading soles - which are superior to nylon felt because polypropylene will not absorb or retain water and take on added weight.

Wader uppers are made from two specialized waterproof/ breathable laminates. The lower waders are constructed of a rugged, heavy-duty nylon waterproof/breathable laminate with a double-layer, articulated knee for comfortable walking and kneeling. The material above the waistline is a premium lightweight waterproof/breathable laminate offering exceptional drape for superior fit and comfort. Both the uppers and lowers are treated with DuPontT Teflon®, DWR (Durable Waterproof Repellent) finish to enhance breathability.

Finally, the new Tellico Shoal waders feature comfortable, lightweight suspenders which easily serve as a belt to convert the waders to waist-high use, an adjustable wading belt held securely in place with integral belt loop and a unique flip-out, inner, zippered security pocket.
They look nice, are they good in the cold??

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Frank, last year was my first year with breathables and I love them. I still use my neoprenes for wading in the early spring and late fall but most of the time the neoprenes are being used. They are especially good for when your doing a lot of walking and fishing. A lot easier to get on and off as well.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
My neoprenes are packed away for good... waaay in the back of the closet in case I need to lend them to a visitor. Breathables are the real deal... lightweight, and easy to get on and off.. no more losing 10 pounds sweating in the water or pulling them on or off..

I am a 100% Cabelea believer when it comes to wader because sooner or later, ALL WADERS WILL LEAK. And Cabelas has an amazing customer return policy.. I have returned a pair I probably could have fixed for a brand new set two years after buying them no questions asked.

I own the breathables with the lace-up boots. Couple layers of fleece and I am toasty up here, but I can still wear them in the middle of summer or Florida waters and not sweat like a hog

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by Stalker Charters:
They work just fine in cold weather- provided you wear something underneath. A nice pair of Polypropylene Underwear teamed with fleece pants and you're good ta go

I picked up a pair of Grundens Windbreaker Fleece pants #WP-19 last year and I luv'em!

When you're not using'em for fishing they're great for veging out in :D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Originally posted by Ron Redington:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Stalker Charters:
They work just fine in cold weather- provided you wear something underneath. A nice pair of Polypropylene Underwear teamed with fleece pants and you're good ta go

I picked up a pair of Grundens Windbreaker Fleece pants #WP-19 last year and I luv'em!

When you're not using'em for fishing they're great for veging out in :D
</font>[/QUOTE]Thanks, I may have to get a pair. My neoprene ones are always leaking.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Breathables--only way to go--i went with orvis--
they're in their 4th year--absolutely no problems--stocking foot-- way more comfortable and lighter when walking--sand not a problem as long as you wear gravel gators.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts