BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping Santa brings me a nice new pair of wader boots for Christmas, but I am not sure which pair to ask for. I just saw a new pair by Korkers called "Wetlands" - $79 - that have removable soles so they can be converted from lug to flet to boat sole to studded felt and to studded rubber-which are an xtra $30 (no more straping on korkers for the rock piles). Which soles do most of you guys use in different conditions? Does felt have a use in saltwater? I may also ask for Orvis Clearwater Endura Breathable stockingfoot waders -$129. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Rhino,

I've been using Orvis fishing products for more than 20 years. IMHO they sell quality gear and stand behind their products. I think the breathable waders will serve you well. I wear felt soles with carbide studs if their are jetties around. For wading in the back, I just wear felt sole shoes.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I am all infavor from buying almost everything from local guys... but I have to vote for Cabela's breathable bootfoot waders... if you have a problem with leaks, straps... anything... they replace them with almost no questions asked... and strapping Korkers is not really THAT big a deal... is it?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i've got a pair of boots from a company called chota. they have the quick-tie laces, all leather with webbing areas for drainage, and have a felt sole. the cool part is that they come with hardened steel screws that screw into the felt sole, and act just like korkers. you have to change them every so often, depending on how much you walk on jetties and/or streets with them, but it's very easy to do. i hit jetties quite a bit, and i've had no problems. also, you'll never get the feeling of them slipping off your foot, which is what you can get with korkers if they are tied tightly enough.

i got mine about three years ago, and they ran about $125. i usually rinse them off, but not all of the time. they are still in perfect shape. the only thing that i would get in addition to these boots is gaiters to keep the sand out of the boot. that's my only complaint. i love the quick tie laces, especially when i'm back at my car, i'm cold, and the boots are wet. very easy to get off.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much appreciated guys. I am still trying to decide between breathables with bootfoot or stockingfoot. Sounds like the choice comes down to 1) do I want to keep sand out and extend the life of the waders, or 2) enjoy better support with a quality boot that allows me to change the soles easily. Hummmmm :confused: I don't plan on wearing my waders on jetties, I'll wear comfortable foul weather gear for that.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Rhino,

Doyle makes a real important point if you are leaning toward the stockingfoot boots. You need gaiters that work to keep sand out of the wading boots or you will be miserable after an hour or so in the surf. Two years ago I headed down without spikes in my boots thinking that I would just stay off the jetties. Just as it got light I ran into some schoolie bass busting near the jetty. I hooked and landed one from the beach and quickly realized that i would be in much better casting position if I got out about 15 feet or so on the rocks. As my feet hit the first rock, I went down HARD, breaking my fly rod at the first ferrule and breaking the aluminum reel seat off my fly reel. If I had'nt been wearing a backpack filled with extra clothing, I probably would have broken a few ribs as the pack got between my back and the rocks. From that point on I do not get within 100 yards of a jetty without steel spikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts