BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros/cons for each? I've had neoprene before but I am thinking about going for breathables this spring though. Just wanted to hear some opinions on each before hand...

·
Registered
303 Posts
What are the pros/cons for each? I've had neoprene before but I am thinking about going for breathables this spring though. Just wanted to hear some opinions on each before hand...
I like the breathables better for the fact that they're breathable lol and a lot lighter than the neoprene. I used to just wear long under underneath the neos but I had to add a layer(sweatpants or fleece pants) when I switched to the breathables but that wasn't to much of a big deal. After a few hours the neos seem to get heavy and uncomfortable. I still sweat in them but not nearly as bad as the neos. And the funky hockey bag smell isn't as bad with the breathables either. If anyone played ice hockey then they know what I'm talkin about lol. All in all I was really happy I made the switch.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Never had the neoprene but I just got a pair of breathable froggtogg waders for Christmas that I really like. I've only worn them twice but they are really comfortable and easy to get in and out of.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Breathable stockingfoots. If you do a lot of walking and wading these types are the best choice. The best part besides the light weight is the ability to choose your own footwear. I use cheap neoprene dive booties over mine. In the cold I wear sweatpants and wool socks underneath and in the heat I can wear shorts underneath without sweating. I do a lot of walking and wading to fish areas off the beaten path and after having borrowed my brothers boot-foots one time I said never again.

PS Don't break the bank on waders. If you wash them (ie rinse them with freshwater) after every outing they will last. I rinse mine with freshwater after every trip, even multiple times per day. Every two weeks they get a light cycle in the washing machine as well, no detergent.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have Field and Stream Neoprene waders... I like them because mainly im looking for warmth when its cold. I wear long johns and a pair of swishy pants underneath and im as comfortable as could be. Ive had them since 09 but they are starting to leak in the crotch area.

I played ice hockey for 9 years and coached afterwards too, nothing compares to the smell of the kid's bags who wore the equipment, took it off, sealed it in their bag and didnt re-open the bag until the next use....ungodly smell

·
Registered
166 Posts
Breathable (uninsulated) waders can be worn all season long. By adding base layers for colder air/water conditions, breathable waders are quite versatile.
Neos are nice when it is cool/cold. Neos are not nice when it warms up - you face a choice of peeling them off to cool down / get wet.

I also think that waders with the boot attached helps to prevent beach sand/gravel from building up as it does between a stocking foot wader and wading footwear.

Tighten them up!
Cfishon

·
Registered
107 Posts
I prefer breathables, they are easier to walk in, much more comfortable when it's not super cold. The only time I'd choose neoprenes over breathables is if you are planning on standing in very cold water in cold temps for long periods of time.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I also think that waders with the boot attached helps to prevent beach sand/gravel from building up as it does between a stocking foot wader and wading footwear.
I cut lengths of double sided velcro to cinch around my ankles as garters to keep out all sand. They work perfectly. 18' of hook and loop cost me maybe $10 and will last for years.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts

I have both , for slinging bait and waiting for for fish to bite I apprediate my neoprenes, but if you are planning on doing any walking and treading thru the wash I would go with breathables, my breathable waders are feather light . Treking anywhere from a 1/2 mile to 2 miles total while tossing plugs you appreciate the lighter load.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Breathables for all the aforementioned reasons. I wear boot foot.
I concur :D The breathables are much more comfortable and easier to more around in.I have both and almost never wear the neoprene.When it gets colder I just wear long underwear with the breathables rather than the neoprenes.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Breathable boot foot. I tried using my stocking foot but got so much sand in my boots just standing was uncomfortable let alone walking anywhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts