BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
WAKE UP CALL :eek:
Where are all the reports from the surf.
there are still bass around.
you guy,s goin soft ??
is this a ":razz:" post or are you just daring us to make drives to the north more? we were so used to not having our vehicles warm up completely before being on fish. gets tough to motivate a reason to waste gas.

did two trips yesterday between work. monco and oc. nothing to show. put some pictures up in the reports thread. we like to read.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
you guy,s goin soft ??

Bill, I've been out at night in temps as low as 22 degrees.. there are some of us still catching fish, but the dangers outweigh the catching for most folks...anyone who has a skill set for this type of fishing is out doing it and most are not really into posting pics or bragging in reports all over facebook and the intenet, we're happy just to be out there and getting fish in the ocean this late in the season....

I'm answering your post in detail now because I feel we truly are at the end of this great window we have had, and the pending snow might kill it for good, or slow things down to a trickle where most people will agree that it's not worth the time and effort..

As I said, there is still an element of danger, and promoting it wouldn't be a great idea if someone who really shouldn't be out there at night ended up wet or dead...the water temps are trending around 45 degrees and can kill you in 10 minutes if you somehow get wet, caught in rip currents, and can't get back to the shore...

For anyone who is interested in catching any fish at all, the best advice I could give from the surf is to choose the window between 4-6pm. Small schoolies are most active during that time, and these small schoolies have been coming right into the surf line, no need to wade or put yourself at risk.

If you stick with this window, gravitate toward areas near inlets where bait has been known to show up. (Remember the inlets themselves are closed to bass fishing this time of year).

There are still a large amount of herring and other small forage around, and IMO that, together with unusually high end-of-season water temps, has kept some fish "stuck in time" and altered the migrational path for a short while. This is something that only happens when a host of conditions line up. I may be posting about it when I get some more time.

Throw small plugs (when the winds and surf permit) or metal, bucktails, and bottle plugs when things are churned up a bit more. These fish are extremely sluggish unless you are fishing for them at the end of a very sunny day.

The hits will feel like herring or shad taps, but I can assure you they are all bass. If you miss the fish, you lose the chance on that retrieve as in most cases (except sunny days as mentioned) their metabolism has slowed down and they will not chase your offering. If you want to increase your ratio keep your rod parallel with the ground and try for a good hookset every time.

If you keep at it, are prepared for the cold, and are determined, you will most likely score some small fish.

As this action winds down, I may be able to post a few pics for ya's at the end of the month, along with some commentary of what worked and what didn't...helpful for the new guys out there...

And please be careful out there folks. A guy died in Belmar less than 3 months ago because he fell in, and washed up dead on the beach the next morning...no fish is worth your life, and please think of the people you will leave behind, who depend on you, if you don't return from your surf fishing trip....

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
WAKE UP CALL :eek:
Where are all the reports from the surf.
there are still bass around.
you guy,s goin soft ??
Going soft? No, just getting Old, plugging in this weather leaves me stiff and brittle the next day, I love striper fishing, but to tax my body to catch short stripers isn't worth itDark skies is getting it done and has been for the past few weeks, because he loves to. He has been Inviting me to join in the bite, but my stuff is put up for the winter.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Out there for the fishin, not the catchin...

Joe, you're one of the guys I know who in season, is out there every chance you get. You don't wait for the internet reports, you make your own reports. Any conversations I've had with ya, your love of fishin shines through...you don't need the glory, or the weigh-in videos, you just love to fish, and catch...:thumbsup:

Don't sell yourself short, your dedication and perseverance has brought you a lot of nice fish. :cool:

And you put in so much time out there, when conditions are less than optimal, because, like me, you love being out there...the concept of not fishin for awhile seems bleak...:(

I hear ya on the cold thing....some guys love the cold, I hate it...but it does keep the numbers of guys fishing down....

As we get older it kicks our *** more. I gotta take 2-4 Advils just to get it together to get out there when I'm hittin it hard....but there is something about being out there, darkness of night, under the darkest skies (hey is that where my handle comes from?) :huh: ;)....

that makes it all worthwhile....the waves crashing, the rough surf, the calm surf, the adrenalin rush when something hits that artificial offering you're tossing, and puts a bend in the rod...the anticipation....casting 2 hours with no action, and on the next cast you get drilled by a teen size or bigger fish....the variations in sunrises, incredible sunsets, all showing you the power and glory of Nature and all that God created..... these are all part of the experience for me.......

***I was truthfully all done with fishin after my 2 trips last week only produced 1 bass, only to see it start up again with the last hurrah before it shuts down. Probably over with this snow coming our way tonight....

I know you're gonna be out there in the Spring, Joe, hittin it hard and doing things differently than a lot of other folks to get it done...in areas that you know better than many.........

See ya soon, bro, see ya soon....:thumbsup: :wave:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
be leave me

beleave me i know the cost for the guys running an hour or more just to get to the water is harsh. and as far as old ya thats me also i,ll be the first admit i don't have the drive i once had. and pluggin all nite is brutal this time of year.
i was referring more to tacking some clam out front on a warmer after noon i have had some nice on day like that.
this time of year that's all i would do. should of made that more clear.
i think and beleave there will be bass there all year this year .
just wondering why i haven't see more guys out. but after a banner year like we had i guss it may be time for a break.its also easier for me being down here the all the time. i can run down the beach for a few hrs. most any time i want this time of year. sorry if i rubbed anyone the wrong the wrong way just wanted to see what was going on AND STIR THE POT A LITTLE :D

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Oh wait, I own a shop.......I meant to say they are killing them in Bayhead!! Get here while the blitz is on. The blitz only happens during our winter hours which can be seen on our website. :razz:

I forget I am a sponsor sometimes!!! :D ( and nobody has yelled at me in like a month now!!! ) :huh:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Oh wait, I own a shop.......I meant to say they are killing them in Bayhead!! Get here while the blitz is on. The blitz only happens during our winter hours which can be seen on our website. :razz:

I forget I am a sponsor sometimes!!! :D ( and nobody has yelled at me in like a month now!!! ) :huh:
just don't bring a fish to the shop until march. they call the cops!:razz:

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Joe, you're one of the guys I know who in season, is out there every chance you get. You don't wait for the internet reports, you make your own reports. Any conversations I've had with ya, your love of fishin shines through...you don't need the glory, or the weigh-in videos, you just love to fish, and catch...:thumbsup:

Don't sell yourself short, your dedication and perseverance has brought you a lot of nice fish. :cool:

And you put in so much time out there, when conditions are less than optimal, because, like me, you love bass.

As we get older it kicks our *** more. I gotta take 2-4 Advils just to get it together to get out there when I'm hittin it hard....but there is something about being out there, darkness of night, under the darkest skies .

See ya soon, bro, see ya soon....:thumbsup: :wave:[/QUOTE

Thank for the vote of confidence Rich, I live very close to some early season spots as you know, If I get the yak I really want, Rich I hope you make the trip down to get those sluggish early bass with me on some soft plastics.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
^ Lookin forward to it Joe, we're planning on coming down that way sometime around the 2nd week of march...lots of schoolies at that time, but an occasional teen bass as well, all on rubber, and all hungry at the top of the tide under lights....:wave:

·
Registered
572 Posts
after a hard fall fishin season, it is now show season.. and time to got the gear ready for next season...........swapping hooks, and making rigs, plugs and other things

not soft, SMART.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i can pretty much guarantee one thing with almost 100% certainty. i'll be out this week at least once looking for a February bass from the surf. we typically have a "let's try to catch a bass each month of the year" conversation and i think this could be the year. fish are still here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts