BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just wish the best battery ever made, the Delco Voyager, were easier to find.
I bought my last one from a Chevy mechanic through his dealership.
I run them 5 seasons in my boat and then replace just because I start to worry.
I've said it before, I have a 1991 27 series Voyager that still holds a charge and I continue to use it for freshwater on a trolling motor.

·
Registered
31,669 Posts
for boats dekka bateries cant be beat. the pair i have will be entering there 6th season.sitting in the basement now with 12.3 and 12.4 on them.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Whast kind of float charger do you use? Are the batteries in line or do you have a seperate charger for each one?
Open circuit voltage
State-of-Charge in %
Figure 3: BCI standard for SoC estimation of a 12V flooded lead acid car battery.

Test the battery at room temperature. Allow 4-8 hour of rest after charge or discharge.
Courtesy of BCI

12.65V 100%
12.45V 75%
12.24V 50%
12.06V 25%
11.89V or less Discharged​

It is important to keep any lead acid battery topped off.... otherwse you are slowly lowering it's total reserve.

Each battery should be charged separatey...in line would be a 24 volt system...parallel is to increase bank capacity. Chargers that have multiple leads generally can adequately charge separate batteries at the same time. Read the manual as it should say whether it will sense each battery for the right voltage.

My advice is spend an hour or so on-line learning about batteries...it's worth it as they are one of the most misunderstood systems on a boat. From a guy who jump starts many boats each year.... believe me when I say that most people have just a basic knowledge of batteries and their systems.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wish the best battery ever made, the Delco Voyager, were easier to find.
I bought my last one from a Chevy mechanic through his dealership.
I run them 5 seasons in my boat and then replace just because I start to worry.
I've said it before, I have a 1991 27 series Voyager that still holds a charge and I continue to use it for freshwater on a trolling motor.
I have an ACDeclo as well that has many years on it. I am replacing it this year. For the same reason you are. You can getthem at any GM dealer.

Guess who makes the Delco batteries? Johnson Controls.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
FYI- years ago Johnson controls made all Interstate Batteries and some Die-Hards. They were made to the purchaser's(Brand Specific) specifications as to how many plates,type, and so on. Deka on the other hand makes Federal and Deka to my knowledge and are made to Deka specs,same battery, just different labels.
I sold both as a dealer for Interstate and as a distributor for Deka.
I changed to Deka because my Interstate distributor thought it was ok to sell my accounts at my cost and Interstate corporate in Texas would not protect me from him, after all he is their distributor and I only sold their batteries for 25 years when their distributor was from Delaware and could not handle his large territory.
So if Wal-Mart wants less expensive batteries, that are not so reliable, will Johnson controls lower their standard in order to supply?? :confused: Given todays market conditions, I'd bet on it.
Just mho

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
FYI- years ago Johnson controls made all Interstate Batteries and some Die-Hards. They were made to the purchaser's(Brand Specific) specifications as to how many plates,type, and so on. Deka on the other hand makes Federal and Deka to my knowledge and are made to Deka specs,same battery, just different labels.
I sold both as a dealer for Interstate and as a distributor for Deka.
I changed to Deka because my Interstate distributor thought it was ok to sell my accounts at my cost and Interstate corporate in Texas would not protect me from him, after all he is their distributor and I only sold their batteries for 25 years when their distributor was from Delaware and could not handle his large territory.
So if Wal-Mart wants less expensive batteries, that are not so reliable, will Johnson controls lower their standard in order to supply?? :confused: Given todays market conditions, I'd bet on it.
Just mho
That's interesting. I've known there are only a few real batt manuf's. Johnson always made a good batt. I wouldn't be so quick to think they'll lower quailty for Wally World.. The others they make for would take a dim view of that.

I'm still a diehard....Delco Voyager fan, but I know what the Ford dealer charges for batts so I'm kind of afraid hear what GM dealers get..for a batt they have to order in.. Anyone know? 27 series.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's interesting. I've known there are only a few real batt manuf's. Johnson always made a good batt. I wouldn't be so quick to think they'll lower quailty for Wally World.. The others they make for would take a dim view of that.

I'm still a diehard....Delco Voyager fan, but I know what the Ford dealer charges for batts so I'm kind of afraid hear what GM dealers get..for a batt they have to order in.. Anyone know? 27 series.
There is a place in Norristown, PA, Not a GM dealer but a ACDelco distributor, That quoted me $114.00 for a M27MF. Two weeks ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.