BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE - As it turns out I may have jumped the gun on the company for not responding. I got a call from Nick at Korkers and they are taking care of me... even sending me a saltwater version that uses version 2 soles, which are the same ones I use now. Nick even apologized that it took so long to get back to me. I'm happy an American company came through as I had hope they would. My bad for trashing them

·
Registered
112 Posts
I called them this week becaus a thread on a pair of mocs I got 6 months ago came loose. No questions asked, they replaced them.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Perhaps that's because the moc is not discontinued, cheaper to replace or you had the sale receipt? Or maybe your customer service rep was just better than mine. :huh: I was told they could only help me if the boots were the new 3.0 version, which mine are not.

·
Registered
839 Posts
thats politely unacceptable,,we should all flood their mailbox w/ your letter of disappointment and our disapproval as consumers of their products.

I even mentioned to you when we last fished,, whats with those boots? they were trashed.. I have been fortunate with a pair of their boot systems now 3 well used years.. my next pair will be from LL or Cabela's they are hands down best for everything they sell...standing behind all products 100%.
Hope they rethink and correctly do the right thing asap.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
A letter to the Korker company

Greg, I'm shocked to hear of that treatment.

What you described doesn't seem like normal deterioration.

I'm fishing a lot lately. Although I try my best to maintain my gear, in no way have I been able to be as meticulous as you have been. The D-Rinks of my 5000 series have broken out of the straps, and I now have them strapped and taped around my feet. I have accepted this because of the frequent use mine get.

It also seems to me they're not making them with all the quality of materials they used to. For that reason I don't buy the ones with the "shoelaces" anymore and now look for the ones with the straps, so that may be some helpful advice to you as well.

Some info about korkers from their website....

"Made by hand, using scrap rubber, nylon cord, and carbide spikes, Korkers "River Cleats" were created in the basement of Korkers founder, Sherman Smith.
The functional yet versatile design of the cleat system quickly grew as a favorite among fisherman who often found themselves slipping and/or falling on slippery river rock, and eventually spread to provide traction safety to a number of industrial applications such as roofing and outdoor work on snow/ice.
Over the years Korkers hasn't abandoned its independent thinking. The Company continues to be bold and innovative, having the courage to take risks in order to meet the needs of those who identify with the intensity of mountain adventure where extreme conditions can be challenging and unforgiving. Their gear must perform double duty as conditions change rapidly and performance optimization puts every piece of gear to the test. Some people gear up, we prefer "gearing down". That's where Korkers thrives. Our legendary OmniTrax Interchangeable Sole System enables this rare breed the versatility to do more (adventure) with less (gear). Interchangeable felts for fly fishing, interchangeable carbide studded outsoles for traction on snow and ice, and an interchangeable trail sole add up to the most versatile and efficient all-terrain, all-season footwear available. For those that crave outdoor adventure, Korkers expands your boundaries."

I've found that when ealing with the customer service branch of the company and it's not working out, contacting the President directly will get better results (Of course he may not actually read your letter, but the point is this.)....if a letter expressing dissatisfaction gets sent to the company president, it's more likely that something will be done to ensure the customer is completely satisfied.

So, to help ya ...
I've taken the liberty of drafting a letter you might want to send....I would be very surprised if you used a letter like this and got no results....good luck, and let us know how ya make out.....:wave:

The current CEO of Korkers is Sean Beers, here's his profile.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Sean/Beers

(I also found out that he's an outdoors enthusiast as well...it helps to have some info relevant to the connection you're looking to make with the person the letter is addressed to)

Korkers Company
9333 SE Alansa Drive Suite 200
Clackamas, OR, 97015
Attn: Sean Beers

Dear Mr Beers:

I am an outdoors enthusuast. I've read that you are one as well. I bought your company's boots, Model __________ in _Feb_______, 2011 at Sportsmans Center in Bordentown, NJ.

Since then I feel the quality has failed me. I have become not only saddened by this performance, but extremely disappointed by the level of customer service I have received from your company.

Here, to date, is a summary of what I have done to try and resolve this issue....

I reached out to Korkers this past December to see if the boot had been recalled or if the company was offering a fix – especially since they probably knew there is a problem and discontinued the model. I received a response that I should forward pictures of the problem areas and a copy of the receipt and they would then let me know if there was anything they could do.

I explained that I keep all of my fishing gear receipts in the same place and have one receipt which the ink on it has disappeared - I purchased the boots at Sportsmen Center and had the same problem with another receipt.
Also, I could not provide a credit card statement because the boots were purchased with gift cards from Christmas. I attached pictures of the rusted lace eyelets, which also showed the boots are otherwise in perfect condition.

Every time I sent the email with the requested picture to the email address they provide to me, my email was returned by the company’s email server as undeliverable. I’ve now spent the better part of 3 months trying to get an answer out of the company as to whether or not they will replace the boots with a pair that is designed to last.

I went out of my way not to tarnish the company and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but as a guy who bought LL Bean waders because of the warranty, I appreciate a company that stands behind their products and tries to make things right when there is a problem. I feel 3 months is more than enough time for me to have received an answer from corkers as to whether or not they will replace the boots.

Mr Beers, I have been a lifelong, loyal customer of your company's products and have encouraged many of my friends to buy them as well. I cannot believe that your customer service would take so long to resolve an issue, or that your company would seeminglly not stand behind the quality of its product line.

I cannot believe that a the original founder Sherman Smith would condone treating a customer this way.

I have attached photos of my Korkers, and am eagerly awaiting to see if you can help resolve this issue.

As a fellow outdoors enthusiuast, I am reaching out to you specifically because I feel you may have a better understanding of fishermen and the loyalty we have for the products we like.

Thank you very much for your anticipated help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Greg ______________

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i have the same boots and the same issue. i got about 2 years out of them but they look like a 2nd grader laced them with all the missing eyelets and other issues. i might have them altered so they can be laced from the material. it's not a hard project. i wear them almost daily all year so i know a lot of the issues are because of heavy use but nothing lasts forever i guess.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Greg, I'm shocked to hear of that treatment.

What you described doesn't seem like normal deterioration.

I'm fishing a lot lately. Although I try my best to maintain my gear, in no way have I been able to be as meticulous as you have been. The D-Rinks of my 5000 series have broken out of the straps, and I now have them strapped and taped around my feet. I have accepted this because of the frequent use mine get.

It also seems to me they're not making them with all the quality of materials they used to. For that reason I don't buy the ones with the "shoelaces" anymore and now look for the ones with the straps, so that may be some helpful advice to you as well.

Some info about korkers from their website....

"Made by hand, using scrap rubber, nylon cord, and carbide spikes, Korkers "River Cleats" were created in the basement of Korkers founder, Sherman Smith.
The functional yet versatile design of the cleat system quickly grew as a favorite among fisherman who often found themselves slipping and/or falling on slippery river rock, and eventually spread to provide traction safety to a number of industrial applications such as roofing and outdoor work on snow/ice.
Over the years Korkers hasn't abandoned its independent thinking. The Company continues to be bold and innovative, having the courage to take risks in order to meet the needs of those who identify with the intensity of mountain adventure where extreme conditions can be challenging and unforgiving. Their gear must perform double duty as conditions change rapidly and performance optimization puts every piece of gear to the test. Some people gear up, we prefer "gearing down". That's where Korkers thrives. Our legendary OmniTrax Interchangeable Sole System enables this rare breed the versatility to do more (adventure) with less (gear). Interchangeable felts for fly fishing, interchangeable carbide studded outsoles for traction on snow and ice, and an interchangeable trail sole add up to the most versatile and efficient all-terrain, all-season footwear available. For those that crave outdoor adventure, Korkers expands your boundaries."

I've found that when ealing with the customer service branch of the company and it's not working out, contacting the President directly will get better results (Of course he may not actually read your letter, but the point is this.)....if a letter expressing dissatisfaction gets sent to the company president, it's more likely that something will be done to ensure the customer is completely satisfied.

So, to help ya ...
I've taken the liberty of drafting a letter you might want to send....I would be very surprised if you used a letter like this and got no results....good luck, and let us know how ya make out.....:wave:

The current CEO of Korkers is Sean Beers, here's his profile.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Sean/Beers

(I also found out that he's an outdoors enthusiast as well...it helps to have some info relevant to the connection you're looking to make with the person the letter is addressed to)

Korkers Company
9333 SE Alansa Drive Suite 200
Clackamas, OR, 97015
Attn: Sean Beers

Dear Mr Beers:

I am an outdoors enthusuast. I've read that you are one as well. I bought your company's boots, Model __________ in _Feb_______, 2011 at Sportsmans Center in Bordentown, NJ.

Since then I feel the quality has failed me. I have become not only saddened by this performance, but extremely disappointed by the level of customer service I have received from your company.

Here, to date, is a summary of what I have done to try and resolve this issue....

I reached out to Korkers this past December to see if the boot had been recalled or if the company was offering a fix – especially since they probably knew there is a problem and discontinued the model. I received a response that I should forward pictures of the problem areas and a copy of the receipt and they would then let me know if there was anything they could do.

I explained that I keep all of my fishing gear receipts in the same place and have one receipt which the ink on it has disappeared - I purchased the boots at Sportsmen Center and had the same problem with another receipt.
Also, I could not provide a credit card statement because the boots were purchased with gift cards from Christmas. I attached pictures of the rusted lace eyelets, which also showed the boots are otherwise in perfect condition.

Every time I sent the email with the requested picture to the email address they provide to me, my email was returned by the company’s email server as undeliverable. I’ve now spent the better part of 3 months trying to get an answer out of the company as to whether or not they will replace the boots with a pair that is designed to last.

I went out of my way not to tarnish the company and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but as a guy who bought LL Bean waders because of the warranty, I appreciate a company that stands behind their products and tries to make things right when there is a problem. I feel 3 months is more than enough time for me to have received an answer from corkers as to whether or not they will replace the boots.

Mr Beers, I have been a lifelong, loyal customer of your company's products and have encouraged many of my friends to buy them as well. I cannot believe that your customer service would take so long to resolve an issue, or that your company would seeminglly not stand behind the quality of its product line.

I cannot believe that a the original founder Sherman Smith would condone treating a customer this way.

I have attached photos of my Korkers, and am eagerly awaiting to see if you can help resolve this issue.

As a fellow outdoors enthusiuast, I am reaching out to you specifically because I feel you may have a better understanding of fishermen and the loyalty we have for the products we like.

Thank you very much for your anticipated help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Greg ______________

Dark Skies,

What a great letter ..... you nailed it. Hopefully it will bring results. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had a pair rip 10 years ago in the heel after a year of use and they replaced them with no problem

·
Registered
235 Posts
yea i have 2 pairs of those autolace boots and man are they terrible!!!! These boots cannot withstand the beating the surf dishes out. I have the guide versions and chromes both are junk!!!

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts. I'll report back if anything new develops.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Good luck dude.

I always thought those boots looked funny anyway......like they were meant for a mountain freestone....

RyanF

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck dude.

I always thought those boots looked funny anyway......like they were meant for a mountain freestone....

RyanF
The old ones that held up did look wierd, but the new ones are like hiking boots.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As it turns out I may have jumped the gun on the company for not responding. I got a call from Nick at Korkers and they are taking care of me... even sending me a saltwater version that uses version 2 soles, which are the same ones I use now. Nick even apologized that it took so long to get back to me. I'm happy an American company came through as I had hope they would. My bad for trashing them

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Good for them, glad it worked out

RyanF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts