BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a brutal winter, and watching the warm water tease the edge for the last few weeks, I decided to make a run. So we headed off for a long Monday daytrip. On board, Keith, Jeff, big mahi, and me. Short version..... long day covering a sharp five degree temp break from Hendrickson to toms, to middle toms to south toms and back up the western side of the "toms" with no luck on the tuna. Some interesting things though......

Very gradual temp rise from a mile or so inside of the 100, from 52 on up to 58 several miles off the bank, in 2,500 feet. Blended water off the bank. Then a much sharper 59-64 temp break between 2,500 feet and 500 fathoms, topping out at just shy of 66 a little deeper. No real blue water at least as far as we got, but nice water on the 64 degree side. Weed lines, birds, some bait in the warm stuff, but whales, porpoise, sun fish , bait, birds on the cold side, on the bank in 58 degree water. Not a tremendous amount of life, but some promising pockets here and there. We worked it all for many hours. Generally the temp changes matched the latest SST shot, with the warmer stuff staying off the bank maybe a little more than shown.

Fantastic moonlit clear night on the ride out , then great weather and fairly calm seas all day, then a southwesterly wind for the ride home. No major problems, other than the lack of tuna, but a good first test for the boat, and my new Simrad electronics.

Chris-Wasabi

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Like I said over txt, gotta be in it to win it bud!

At least you'll sleep well knowing you gave it a shot! If that water takes up residence in the area and doesnt get sucked back out, it could be an interesting start of the year. Good job getting out there and getting your hands dirty, that time you put in will pay off sooner or later.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip out there and conditions. Bummer the fish weren't there. Thanks for the report

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Chris, did you see anything worth mentioning on the mid-shore grounds?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Not a great day when you don't catch, but nice to get out and try.

On the mid-shore spots, we were east of the CC and in the dark on the way out, so didn't see anything. On the way in we passed right over the corner of Chicken and up the middle of the trench, and saw dirty water, no bait, no birds, not very fishy at all. I was hoping we'd pull a fish out of there, but wasn't worth stopping.

Steve and crew at Sterling......... Thanks !!!! I came home to find my order from Sterling Tackle had arrived Monday. Thanks for the quick processing and great stuff. I cant wait to splash those new white squid and white machine bars, they look awesome !!!

Chris-Wasabi

·
Registered
743 Posts
Chris, nice report on the long shakedown. Only a matter of a couple of weeks. Will be in Lido over the weekend and may bring the surf rod to test the bass.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies. Its hard to say with any real certainty if we just missed them, or they weren't there yet. Given the size of the water mass, and the limited area one boat can cover, its like trying to find a moving needle in a moving haystack. Even when we are working a sharp 5 degree "break" over good bottom, and staying with the bait and whales, its just a sliver of a massive area. We found everything but tuna, and worked the crap out of it, over many miles for many hours, so I'm leaning towards the belief that they just were not there.

I'm sure they will show up, and when they do, we'll pound them.

Chris-Wasabi

1 - 20 of 25 Posts