BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else concerned about the quaility of the water? For the whole summer and especially this last month the back bay water has looked pretty sick. Either a cedar look or a sick green color and you can't see very far down. Could be some sort of alge bloom with the super warm temps. Maybe it is me, but it seems like the bait in the back this year isn't as plentiful and as big as past years. Fished it tonight and it looked like pool water that went bad. Very green and poor visablity. Went out to the ocean on the top of the tide and it didn't look much better. Did get a couple of small bass and snapper blues but the action was very slow and the water is still super warm for this time of year.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
When coming in through the inlet the last few days, the water has looked normal to me. Perhaps it is an algae bloom. In the inlet, there has been a ton of bait, as there has been along the beaches. In the marina and backwaters, I have been seeing a lot more in the way of peanut bunker and mullet than there has been in a while.

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
I AGREE IN THE SPRING THE WATER WAS CLEAR THERE WAS NO NORMAL IT WENT TO DELAWARE RIVER LOOKING WATER FROM THE EARLY SIXTIES.I DON'T KNOW IF ITS ME BUT FISH SEEM SLIMER THAN NORMAL.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adam, been seeing the small baitfish at the inlet and my marina is loaded with baitfish, but it only looks like bay anchoives and smaller spearing in the back bay and not as much as previous years. Normally when you throw a plug or fly you should be able to see it a fair distance down in the water. Lately you can't see it very far down.

Stain, bridge brings up a point. Have you noticed when you go through there, the water hasn't been good enought to see down more than a foot or so most of the time. Maybe last year was a super clear year.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
just remember the dredgers have been around tooooo

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This summer, I thought some was the dredge, but they have been gone for awhile and the beachfront dredge hasn't started yet. Think they are to start filling the beaches Tuesday, if the weather will allow it. Once they start, I believe the water will be muddy all striper season long, cause they are filling all the way to the point. Here is what I was talking about in the back. Motor is one foot under the surface. When the fishing is good you can see it real clear. This is what it looked like on the top of the tide today. In two foot of water you can barely see bottom.
If it is Algae, cold spell should clear it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts