BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Pebble beach the other day and it seemed like a two degree change in the water temp made the difference. I caught shoolies when the water reached 50 degrees late in the day when it was warmed slightly by the sun.

What's the coldest SPRING time water temperature that you caught Stripers in?

K9

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not sure the coldest, but I'd imagine anything under 45 your really counting on luck. I've found 55 to be the magic number, but anything over 50 and things are at least possible. Top water bite starts above 55, heading towards 60. I'm sure there are guys that keep good logs and can give solid numbers instead of generalities. Early in the year find the warmest water you can and you'll probably be in the right spot.

Wasteman

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Frozen...I caught small bass perch fishing when there was ice on the water.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Last year got first bass on the fly between 55 and 58, This year back bay hasn't gotten started strong with bait yet and the water is in the high 40's to low 50's. If they won't hit the bait you have to be darn lucky to get them to hit the fly when the water it real cold.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it seems like 50 degrees is the magic number, to regularly catch schoolies on the fly, in the spring. However, I think the fall it is differnt in terms of minimum water temp. We can probably still catch small bass with some consistency at 45 or 46 degrees.

Has this been your experience.

K9

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I like 50 or more.

Last Dec. Surf Cowboy had a few shots at Big Bass on the Cumstain on the fly and the water was mid-low 40's.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Hey K9 Good to hear from you again. I have caught them with ice on the guides, but I'll agree with at least 50. Ron

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the input.

Sparse, its nice to be back I've been tied up with newborn twins, building a home and a seargents' exam. Now, more than ever, I need to hit the beach and relax.

I wish I was able to meet some of you guys when our clubs get together on 5/15. But, I'm coaching my kids soccer game that day.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
K9:
Our Corson's Inlet shindig extravaganza extreme blowout all-night block party is on May 1, not May 15 :D .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoops, Your right. Unfortunately I coach my kid's soccer games every Saturday. I wish I could be there.

Craig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts