BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was checking out some thermal imagery and noticed water temps for cape may area were 58-61. this seems odd to me as it was 67-69 a couple weeks ago or is this normal. i haven't spent a summer here yet to know how the ocean works. do you guys think with these cooler water temps that we might get some bunker pods down this way.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
From my 10 years of experence watching this. this is close to normal.

WARNING! weather history rant ahead!

Last year was insane, waters in places reached about 85. Enough to support a good category 2-3 Hurricane. it was 80 by late july last year. the first time I remember it hitting 80 was 2004. The water temp hits it's height in about the second week of september. About the average I see since 1996 is about 75-77.

Dont worry. it's got about 10-15 degrees to go depending on the weather.

But heck, it never hit 60 in 1989 so you never know.

But to clarify, last year was INSANE!

Apperently it's been the best Bunker year in 13 years so it's seems to please them.

·
Banned
13,499 Posts
Constant southerly winds have kept the water temp down. This has produced one of the best spring/summer runs in years. As long as the water stays cool, and bunker hang, so will the bass. It's not over.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Red_Cherokee said:
It's not over.
You just turned 47.......it's over.:D

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
RTG,
You are brutal. Red you aren't old you are just seasoned.

GSBB:D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Red_Cherokee said:
Constant southerly winds have kept the water temp down. This has produced one of the best spring/summer runs in years. As long as the water stays cool, and bunker hang, so will the bass. It's not over.
AGREED....
I have never cought a striper in July and did this year so if I were you I would pray the temps stay like this all summer. Had stripers through February up there so why not through August aswell.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
good that'll keep some last minute stripers who are still straggling around. the noghts have been cool here in CM, thats why I love the shore so much.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
Upwelling is also caused by storms churning up the water, Hurricanes especially due to the fact they feed off of the warm surface water,. The water temp can drop 2-7 degrees from a Hurricanes passing depending on it's forward speed.

This graphic shows the paths of Hurricanes Bonnie and Danielle in 1998, and the water temps just afterwards. Note water temps are a few degrees cooler in their wake.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
last week i had 58 degree water inshore. Two days later i had 71 degree water in the same area. Was out fishing the beach last night and the water seemed warm, not sure the exact temp. All the southerly winds are helping keep the water temps down and the bunker and bass around longer than normal.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so from what you guys are saying that with all this upwelling and extreme temps this coming week that the water should warm up a lot and with that comes the canes even this far north. and we all thought Katrina was bad last year.....

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
BIOGUY said:
so from what you guys are saying that with all this upwelling and extreme temps this coming week that the water should warm up a lot and with that comes the canes even this far north. and we all thought Katrina was bad last year.....
It would take something beyond all sensible weather patterns to bring a category 5 storm this far north, Chances would be that the water is a tad too cool to support one, and it would be moving too fast. however if a category 3 came up, there would still be absolute devastation.

The only times Hurricanes have come up here, the water wasnt warm enough to support them, so they weakened and became Extratropical in New England, Floyd and Gloria are good examples. If the water WAS warm enough to keep a cat 1-2-3 storm, I couldn't predict it's intensity because it's hard enough as it is, and I've never seen such a situation and hope I never do.

as for the water warming up, it wont rise from 65 to 80 in a week unless something beyond my knowledge occurs that I havent heard of. a 5 degree rise isnt out of reach, it could happen.

Depends on the wind.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts