BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some used trolling gear that needs a little tlc. Some of the roller guides need some lubrication and I mentioned to the seller that I would hit them with some WD-40. He said NOT to use that oil on any fishing gear. He went on to tell me that its scent has an adverse effect on attracting fish AND there was a list of several things that shared this effect including human urine! Does anyone else know about a list of things we should not come in contact with while fishing??:confused:

·
Banned
2,542 Posts
loanfish said:
I just bought some used trolling gear that needs a little tlc. Some of the roller guides need some lubrication and I mentioned to the seller that I would hit them with some WD-40. He said NOT to use that oil on any fishing gear. He went on to tell me that its scent has an adverse effect on attracting fish AND there was a list of several things that shared this effect including human urine! Does anyone else know about a list of things we should not come in contact with while fishing??:confused:
I heard somewhere that WD-40 actually attacted fish, but I don't know for sure as I have never tried it.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Sure I know a bunch of chit we shouldn't come into contact with while fishing but WD-40 isn't one of them. I don't use WD-40 too often as a fishing gear lube. Although I do know a lot of people who have caught fish when they sprayed WD-40 onto their bait. So it surely didn't keep them away.

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
loanfish said:

Butt-ugly chicks, sea robbins......

·
Banned
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also heard that spaying an eel with WD-40 attracted stripers. I knew I would open the floodgates with the urine thing:D

·
Banned
13,499 Posts
loanfish said:
I also heard that spaying an eel with WD-40 attracted stripers. I knew I would open the floodgates with the urine thing:D
Hey brother, if ya find out it works, I'll sell it to you by the gallon, cheap, and with assorted shades of yeller. :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thought my dad was full of s*#t when he told me this trick but sure enough it worked for weakies/stripers..weird..its like they follow the little oil slick of scent right to the bait..now there's always a can on board..

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
As ECT says, you will get a gummy build up useing wd40, I switched to corrosion x several years ago you and can't go wrong. As for spraying it on your bait, well I've heard of it, but never tried it.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
WD-40 is not a lubricant it's a cleaner. It will remove all the oil off of anything that it is sprayed on.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
WD-40 supposed to be bunker oil as main "lube". Squeeze packets are great bait attractors. Spray WD-40 is spraying petro products in the water. For lubrication, Wd-40 attracts dirt, think about it.

CRC's 6-66 is the best corrosion inhibitor out there. Found at Lowe's and Home Depot as well as marine stores. Much cheaper than Corrossion X

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Eric G said:
WD-40 supposed to be bunker oil as main "lube". Squeeze packets are great bait attractors. Spray WD-40 is spraying petro products in the water. For lubrication, Wd-40 attracts dirt, think about it.

CRC's 6-66 is the best corrosion inhibitor out there. Found at Lowe's and Home Depot as well as marine stores. Much cheaper than Corrossion X
I have been using CRC 6-66 for many years! Good stuff!

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
hate it....

i don't use wd-40 for anything...the only products i use and believe in are corrosion block spray and crc....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts