BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's Your Opinion ?

I Was Told By My Grandfather The Weakfish In The D Bay Was A Cycle.

Think Thay Will Up The Limits When Thay Return ?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I think we are beyond a cycle on seatrout. Haven't seen a limit catch of keepers above 16" in years:mad:. IMHO there should be a moritorium on weakies for a few years.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
livetofish said:
I think we are beyond a cycle on seatrout. Haven't seen a limit catch of keepers above 16" in years:mad:. IMHO there should be a moritorium on weakies for a few years.
Would the moritorium apply to commercial fishermen who catch them by the bin and use them for cat food and fertilizer?

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
weakfish Del Bay

when the big female weakfish come in the bay to spawn do they need a certain temp before they begin there spawning? If this is so then close the season for everyone including netters until the temp reaches a certain point and stays long enough until they have had at least a chance to spawn then open the season. How many weakfish fry are killed each year by Salem power plant? Is anything going to be done about that from what I understand they kill more than fisherman & netters combined:mad: :confused:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
bay bee said:
Would the moritorium apply to commercial fishermen who catch them by the bin and use them for cat food and fertilizer?
Yes, that would include commercial fisherpeople. Worked for stripers, why not weakies????

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
livetofish said:
Weakfish populations are dreadful 7 there are alot of factors to blame. I for one know that we (recs) did our share to thin the population but that aside I think this goes beyond com & rec 's harvest. Maybe the stripers larger pop + the weaks at an all time low just won't let the fishery grow. Most of my memorys of growing up on the bay had to do with weakies. :( & it turns my stomach to think where we are now.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I would prefer a 18" minimum. In Barnegat Bay we have been doing fine with them. We usually only keep a few unless we are having a family dinner. Last year we had a number of trips where we limited out on fish all over 18" in just a few hours.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
14 Inch Is Too Small But 16 Would Be Fine. We Found Many 16-20 Inch In The Db Last Year

·
Registered
342 Posts
Weak Fish

as long as SALAM NUC. PLANT is aloud to suck in as much water [unrestricked] as they do and untill the cooling towers are build we'll see a steady decline on not only weakfish but any other type of fish that will spawn there .a few years back we had a shut down there and within a year we were getting 50 to 60 fish a day you would keep a few and have fun the rest of the day. thats when the crokers started to come back late season a 3lb to 5lb'er were commin last year they were few and far from our area all because of our nucular plant . and an other note on weaky's afish born this year maybe a leagle fish before it leaves our area .If it gets a break and live long enuff but it has to live first:eek: :(

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Size should never be tinkered with much imo. Size limits should remain constant from year to year, I am content with 16". The limit # is what should be changing from a scientific standpoint to increase biomass etc. Size should NOT be increases year after year.....only thing this does is means that the fertile and larger spawning fish are kept and the smaller runts (and males ;-) ) are left to be eatern by blues and stripers. I couldn't tell you how many 12-14" weakies I found inside of bluefish bellies last spring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
weakies

What weakies? An 18 in minimum would help since there are no fish that size anyway. Dreadful that the bay has been netted to oblivion. Anyone who remembers the day would waste little time and $$ pursuing them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts