BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been watching some TV fishing show that stated that only male specs croak,I wonder if the same was true for weakfish.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Originally posted by Got Bass?:
Been watching some TV fishing show that stated that only male specs croak,I wonder if the same was true for weakfish.
Watched the same show. I was told they same thing as a kid, and I think they are right. :confused:

I really liked that new Quantum Cabo PT baitcast reel. He was effortlessly tossing them 1/4 oz. jigheads with the 3x strike king paddle tails.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It has been my experience that only the males croak.Back in the 1970's when the weaks were large and plentiful we would net the fish and wait to see if they croaked. Why I don't know, maybe just curiosity.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My best weaky this year was 8lbs. I assumed it was a female.I netted it around 4am,it croaked loudly,In the darkness I thought it was a bass til I heard it.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
That is a good question, but to the best of my knowledge only the males croak. I have caught a few big males in the 5 and 6lb range whiched croaked after I placed them on the stringer and thought they were females, but when I cleaned them found out they were males. The big females I caught never made a sound. Weakfish are members of the croaker family...just alittle F.Y.I.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts