BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While launching my boat in behind OC I saw a bunch of seagulls picking at a fish. I got out just to see what someone caught. I saw a weakfish (fresh) laying there with the insides eaten out and the eyes picked out. The weakie was not filleted. It appeared to be fresh no signs of being froze. I don't remember ever seeing weaks this early and with this cold of water.This weak was aprox. 18-19". IS IT POSSIBLE ?

[ 04-11-2005, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: striperaholic ]

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
They arrive in our area much earlier than we start catching them. They have an internal clock that will tell them to swim north. They won't eat, however, until the water warms up and their metabloism gets cranking. The netters catch weakies pretty early. It is very possible.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
You said you seen it with your own eyes right??what am i missing...LOL

scott,got it right,with the cold water and low matabalism,They only need to feed very little ... when it hits around 60 deg. They start to go on the feed Big time<sometimes they move right through an area,before That ever happens !!!
In other words ,Just because the water gets to 60 dont mean you'll catch,every where,They may have already moved through an area before they start feeding !!They net them way before we get a shot with hook and line ............

[ 04-12-2005, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I saw 2 that were caught last week somewhere in Great Egg,fish were about 5lbs.
Both were caught on a Mirror Lure according the the angler

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have caught them earlier than this. Way up in the backbay where the water gets a little warmer. Given the cold Feb/March they may be running a week or 2 behind schedule but they definitely will be caught on lures before the end of April

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by striperaholic:
IS IT POSSIBLE ?
Oh Yeah.
I have had them are early as mid-April and as late as early May,,
Time to look for some Tiderunners,my favorite.

·
Registered
40 Posts
MY BUDDIE WAS DOWN AT CAPEMAY POINT ON SAT AND HE CAUGHT A WEAKIE THERE ON CHICKEN AND HE HAD A COUPLE OF REAL BIG HITS BUT NOTHING ON THE OTHER END.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts