BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the fisherman and i was looking at the regulations just to see if anything changed and for weakfish it says.

Weakfish-1 bag limit-No closed season.

It didn't say if there was a size regulation is it still 13"?

Is it a printing error? :huh:

·
Registered
454 Posts
What is a weakfish I don't think I've had a good catch of weakfish in 10 years. I remember the days when you could catch double header weakfish on every drop. The last one I caught I think was 2 years ago in the back bay while flounder fishing and I let it go even though it was like 24 inches. I would really like to see weakfish stocks back up since they are a blast to catch.

·
Banned users
6,340 Posts
theres nothing awesome about seeing it cut to 1 fish that just means were one away from them taking that fishery away too:mad:
there is no fishery for weakfish, they can't take something we do not have:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When i go snapper fishing across the street i take live killies and sometimes i cant catch the snappers because of all the baby weakfish that are like 8-9 inches. Dozens of them.

Than i take my kayak in the bay and im lucky if i catch one.

Im wondering what happened to all those littles. You figure they would grow up and move into the bay and the stocks would go up.

543 Posts
Might as well make it a slot size limit to protect the big breeders, or close the season until summer, try to give em a shot to spawn first. Everything eats little weakfish so they need all the help they can get.

·
Registered
239 Posts
They're not taking that fishery away. The fishery is in a state of collapse. They could use a moratorium, similar to what every state did with our now vibrant striper fishery.
if the past two seasons are a sign of whats to come i think alot of people are going to be shocked with what the fishery may turn into again im stayin postive keep it the way it is

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
They're not taking that fishery away. The fishery is in a state of collapse. They could use a moratorium, similar to what every state did with our now vibrant striper fishery.
I couldn't agree more.....

I lived through the Striper moratorium and it didn't kill me. I haven't seen a Weakfish in the last 2 seasons let alone caught any, and the last big fall run of them I fished was well over 15 years ago. Take them off the list for a couple years, give them a chance to rebound......

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
if the past two seasons are a sign of whats to come i think alot of people are going to be shocked with what the fishery may turn into again im stayin postive keep it the way it is
Lip Ripper, while I applaud your enthusiasm, I don't think it's going to improve dramatically in the near term. There is only a very short window of opportunity in the spring to get in on some QUALITY sized trout. Those fish are your breeding females and the limited number that there are should be protected so they can do their thing. Their numbers have dwindled, too. As recent as early 2000 we were whacking nice sized trout 6, 8, and a few 10 plus pounders during a short window in early spring. This short fishery isn't as good as its been. If the numbers of spikes around in the summer were an indicator of good things to come, I would have hoped that the numbers of bigger spring fish would have improved. Fact is, there are a lot of small trout around and unfortunately a lot of them are getting caught up before they have a chance to get to any good size because there is a lot of pressure on those DE Bay and beachfront spikes in August and particularly September. Couple that angling pressure with a ton of predation pressure from stripers, fluke, bluefish, dog sharks, etc. and you have a revolving door of 8 to 13 inch weakfish that never grows up to be bigger than a 18" fish.

They are so few and far between for most people, I'd say give it a few years of closed fishing and see if we don't start seeing a resurgence on those bigger spring fish to the point that maybe we can catch them outside of 1 or 2 spots for 1 or 2 weeks.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Carl, that's the yearly spikefest that we have in this area. Lots of little guys around with the occasional keeper or few.
yeah hear that! I remember when I was about 12 years old, my dad and I were out behind Avalon and I hooked into a 24"er it was AMAZING, my dad was so excited when we landed that beast!!! Of course that was about 16 years ago haha

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Florida's 1 slot redfish limit has been around awhile could end up the same for weekies here.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Lip Ripper, while I applaud your enthusiasm, I don't think it's going to improve dramatically in the near term. There is only a very short window of opportunity in the spring to get in on some QUALITY sized trout. Those fish are your breeding females and the limited number that there are should be protected so they can do their thing. Their numbers have dwindled, too. As recent as early 2000 we were whacking nice sized trout 6, 8, and a few 10 plus pounders during a short window in early spring. This short fishery isn't as good as its been. If the numbers of spikes around in the summer were an indicator of good things to come, I would have hoped that the numbers of bigger spring fish would have improved. Fact is, there are a lot of small trout around and unfortunately a lot of them are getting caught up before they have a chance to get to any good size because there is a lot of pressure on those DE Bay and beachfront spikes in August and particularly September. Couple that angling pressure with a ton of predation pressure from stripers, fluke, bluefish, dog sharks, etc. and you have a revolving door of 8 to 13 inch weakfish that never grows up to be bigger than a 18" fish.

They are so few and far between for most people, I'd say give it a few years of closed fishing and see if we don't start seeing a resurgence on those bigger spring fish to the point that maybe we can catch them outside of 1 or 2 spots for 1 or 2 weeks.

Hey Adam, Lots of folks think predation is a major factor in not seein the weaks like we used to. I'm not really sold on that. Why wasn't the predation an issue back in the earlier years when it was nothing for me (or anyone) to catch sh_tloads of tiderunners in excess of 14-15lbs? I mean those predators were there at that time and before, and the stock was in great health... I tend to think the netters that stationed themselves at the inlets, mouth of the Delaware and shrimp trawls in the south are what put a hurtin on them. Not to mention all of the big roe filled girls bein pulled out of the water for ego stroke pictures. I certainly don't know for sure. I don't think anyone REALLY does, but isn't what I said more logical? :huh:

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
Waterman,

I agree...fishing pressure had a lot to do with it. In my post, I said the angling pressure coupled with predation. There were a LOT of big trout around back then. So, even though the spikes were getting eaten by predators, there were still a lot of the truly big fish and plenty of 3 to 6 pounders around. The little 8 to 13, 14 inch fish getting eaten wasn't as big a deal. Fast forward to present day...very few of the truly big fish, handful of the 3 to 6 pound fish(someone catches a 6 pounder today it's a big deal, back then it was not a big deal), and lots of the little spikes. So, when a lot of those little spikes get eaten today there aren't many of the mid-sized trout to fill in and get to be truly big fish. Back then, a lot more mid sized trout which aren't as susceptible to predation as the spikes. All this and you still had guys back then filling trash cans with jumbo trout and today you have guys going out and filling their 6 per man limits of 13" to 15" fish. Like I said...revolving door of spike trout.

Another factor more present day - - - the SPINY dogfish. A true killer of juvenile fish of all species and completely under regulated due to enviro quacks.

It's a shame, too. Those big weakies are a blast to catch. Not too many fish smash a bucktail like a tiderunner weakfish.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.