BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets talk weakfish . What happen to them ? Sometime they seem so perdicable you could set your watch by them . And sometimes well you know . Are we ever going to get or share .I dont catch a lot of weakfish ,i do fish for them alot and I may only keep one or two all season .

Never bad Fishing only Bad company

[ 01-11-2004, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: sunny2 ]

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Seems 2003 was a weird year for em. Up around fortescue they didn't show up till the fall. And then we were catching big ones 5-8lb-ers in 4 ft of water using catfood for chum. Doesn't make sense but I guess thats fishing. Just when you think you figured em out they do something new. They seem to be more cyclic than any other fishy out there .....to me anyway. Maybe 2004 will be a banner year for em if the stripers don't eat em all up. I pull quite a few out the guts of stripers...up to 10" or so. Who knows :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
This year seemed to be "quality" not "quanity". The bigger fish came early, like usual, but stuck around for the majority of the year. Late in the season there were good numbers of spikes, which I hope leads to good numbers in the near future. I had more large weakies this year than all my years combined.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I agree with eelball, last year alot of nice
(quality) Trout for me,never did fine big numbers
(quanity)of fish after the Spring Run....

True about the perdictable part. In years past
once I found them I was on them for awhile..
Last year,very spotty I had to really work to
fine them even after bailing them in certin spots
that they like to hangout at for extended periods of time.

Looking forward to the 2004 Weakfish Season....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This spring is going to be difference . I am going to consintrate and catch em up . I also think you may have a good point about the spikes turning into nice fish .
steven and Sunny

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Sunny2 I'm with you , I think that I'm going to dedicate the month of May to Mr Trout .
We don't want rain in April but we do want to see the dogwoods poppin the first week of April . Ah Good Friday ;)

[ 01-12-2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Fishpicker ]

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Originally posted by sunny2:
This spring is going to be difference . I am going to consintrate and catch em up . I also think you may have a good point about the spikes turning into nice fish .
steven and Sunny
sunny2:

I am sure you know all the "hot" spots like Cape May Point, Higbee's, 2 MIle Bridge, etc. But try to find some put of the way spots too. I fished 2 Mile a lot because I live 2 minutes away but also did well at some other spots that saw less anglers. I caught more fish and bigger fish at 2 Mile but enjoyed the spots with less angler instead of having to jockey for position. Shoot me an e-mail in the spring and maybe we'll hook up.

P.S. I enjoy your column in the Herald, keep up the good reports.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I had an explosive Spring, big weakies, biggest I have ever seen, 10-16 pounders(April-May). After that, landed one stray on a crystal minnow in broad daylight. I never fish exclusively for weakies I must admit. I will say this, at night I know of spots that have consistently held weakies for about 12 years(not always catchable), NOT this one though. They just were not there. I saw many caught however from guys that were targeting them, just not in great numbers. One memorable catch was a good 5 pounder caught on CLAM on the bottom. A true first, came back for it after I missed him the first time. I don't know what the answer is,but as with most things time will tell :confused: This is a good post, may shed some light on this confusing issue if reports are credible. Was not around around when the stripers began their decline, have not been part of any fish demise, hope this is not a first. Weakies are a beautiful fish, fight hard, hate to see them go :(

Ron

[ 01-12-2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Looks like the weaks are on a down cycle with croakers on the upswing. Last down cycle lasted twenty years according to the graph. 1950-1970

Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dr. Bass they are big weakies 10 to 16 pounds . I am shakeing just typeing this . But I need details .What did they fall for bait, what kind fresh or frozen live ? bucktails ,with worms and what color what weight . lure`s mirrior ? rattle traps . Moon phase , tide which is best day or night ? Thanks for the feed back. Never bad fishing only bad company

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
10-16lbs!!!!!Man fill me in on the lure situation with that bro :D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I caught my 1st weakfish this year on pink finesse with a 1/4 oz jighead around the second week of April, Caught 7 fish that day up to 10 lbs. The year before it was warmer and I had a similiar catch a week sooner. Biggest fish this year for me to date was caught at the end of April 11lbs 13oz on a pink finesse. I think I have had good luck because everyone forgets about the Trout and are still targeting spring bass at this time. I usually start fishing for them the 1st warm spring day (above 70 degrees) in April. If the wind is blowing South or Southwest in April it always seems to make them bite. The northly or westerly winds are not as good in the spring. If you start targeting these fish in late May you are missing at least half of the spring weakfish run they are around in early April is some spots and depending on Wind/Water Temp/tide the bite is usually good.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I had only a few days when I had trout, last week
of April I got into several in 4-8lb range on pink 1/4 oz bucktails with purple worm,
than last week in July I got into another batch for couple of days in same size range ,but they were caught on pearl pentrators.
I wasted a lot of time searching for trout that never showed.
This was first year in several that I didn't have a solid run of 3-6 lb trout first 2 weeks of July
There also didn't seem to be the really big schools of spikes we usually see in the fall.
There were some schools but not nearly as large as years past
I happen to think that the cold water most of the summer pushed the trout north,people I talkd to up in Long Island claim they had one of their best years

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Well, don't mean to let anyone down, buy I just can NOT divulge the spot. Told one guy the exact location, a barner, you know who are, and that's my limit. It was at night, during a clam worm hatch, Springtime. Fell for all artificial. Crystal minnow, plastic worms were doing the trick as well. The bigger ones almost looked like they had teeth.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We had a bunch of big weakfish in Oregon Inlet from April through July. Biggest over 14 pounds, but lots in the 4-8 pound range. My largest was caught in OC, though, on a pink spotted mirrolure; about 8.5 pounds. We usually have a lot of smaller weaks (what you'd call spikes), but this was the first good run of tiderunners that I can remember.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
pink zoom super flukes were definitely a hot ticket in the spring. the big fish showed north along the coast much earlier than in Delaware bay, which I found interesting. Virginia caught the most large trout since 1982. They have good records from the salt water fishing tournament. Got my largest ever along the coast and largest ever in delaware bay. the 10.25 in the bay hit a 1/8 oz jig tipped with a 1 inch chartreuse mr twister grub.
My opinion, the catch of large was so good because the other sizes were missing. The typical summer trout in Delaware bay were MIA.

Phil

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Phil, nice chart, any idea what caused the high spike in 1980? and is there any graphs around that show a larger time span as well as something more up to date? I would find it interesting to see if a pattern could be found.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
That all i needed to kno dr.bass......

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Got some nice Weakies At Cape May Point and the beach front in the spring up to 8.5 lb using flyrod, and with bloodworm and bobber up to until 1st week in June. At that time the spikes moved in. Had good action on flyrod untill water cooled mid july and never saw one the rest of the year. Back bay behind Wildwood didn't see one all season.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts