BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd figure i'd throw this around as i prepare for the spring and find some of the various ways too fish for weakies..Springtime i have caught some bigger ones on pinkice finnesse 4"..And Mr.Bunker lure took 2 over 5 lbs....I have lost 2 big ones last spring that i blame on the hook :eek: ..The reason i say this is because Keylargo came out with a weighted jig head that looks like an actual baitfish head..I picked some up and the hooks were very sharp and the eyes that are on these jigheads are awesome..We'll i'm in 15' of water jigging off the bottom with low light conditions and i get a so subtle bump and i give a nice hook set being mindful that it may be a weakie...Fight the fish that i estimate over 10 lbs..to lose about 10' from the boat as its head was shaking violently... :( ...Next day same spot same thing beleive it or not...I was sick..Than i took notice too the tiny barbs that these hooks have and i said thats it..I'm done with these...I would like some of your guys ways and techniques when it comes too fishing for the ever so sweet and sometimes very elusive..Tiderunners...Thanks,,,Pazman ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Berkley Power Sandworms
Rigged in any number of ways, they are deadly on, well, almost anything. I've gotten good weaks, fluke, stripers and surprisingly, Largemouth and Catfish, and are you ready for this, big Crappie through the ICE! OK, it was just a small piece of the tail on a small jig, but it was a FACT. They are so much easier to use than real sandworms it is silly.

As far as losing big weaks on small barb jigs, I believe it. But I am a BIG fan of hooks with small barbs. I do mostly catch and release, so it makes sense, but I also think it rarely causes more losses. If I were you, I would try a different line, drag, rod, technique etc. Don't automatically condemn the barb until you have proven in a scientific test that a bigger barb works better. There you go, another excuse to go fishing!

·
Banned
964 Posts
Techniques? Well, I'll chime in with the jetty-jockey perspective.

My favorite is floating bloods. I love it! Kicking back, sitting on a 5-gal bucket, catching a bunch of tide-runners. Who could ask for more?

My setup for floating bloods is simple. Light action, short (6' or less) spinner spooled with 10 or 20lb power pro. A number 2 to 1/0 baitkeeper hook on a 3' 20lb mono leader attached to the PP via small swivel or loop-to-loop. A split-shot about a foot above the hook (to help the worm sink and make depth control easier.) A TINY weighed bobber. This setup has caught me more than my share of 9lb+ fish, and when allowed to drift into the shallows, a decent # of fluke.

I'll use the same rod/reel for tossing light jigs/tails (1/8oz). I believe smaller baits work better for the trout.

I recently stumbled on some jigheads that feature larger hooks and pencil shaped heads. (1/8 oz on a 4/0!!!) These look VERY promising... I'll report back after I field test them...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
This is my take on fishing and landing tiderunner weakfish every spring. Its not so much about your hooks but you have to really play the fish and wear him out before trying to land it. The reason they call it a Weakfish is not how strong they are but the weaknest around their mouth.The "headshake" is there way of spitting the hook on you.Let the fish run on a lose drag and tire it out,do not horse it in and let it surface and headshake on you...

Good Luck Out There This Season....

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree with Strikes...wear em down. I know it is hard to be patient when you got one of tiderunners on, but its the best thing to do.
Ive also floated bloods with a bobber on the jetties in cape may. It can be a good time if the jettie isn't crowded.
Good Luck

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
White 1/4oz bucktail with bubblegum powerbait floatworm, fished extra extra slow, then I slow it down some more, I cut an inch or two off the worm.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys...Always appreciate topics like this...This where the book work is done ;) ..Always look forward to taking new techniques to the water....You guys have been a great help to me and as always...Greatly appreciated...Pazman

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I like the night in certin spots,mostly for the fact that it is alot more quiet and no boat traffic.Weakfish tend to spook easy.But I have taken them off the jettys in the daylight and off the sods just after sunrise also..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Nightstrikes...I know you love to hunt the spring tiderunners and have success doing it no matter what the conditions...We talked about some of the ares that produce and you can never tell if your right on top of them or a mile away..Fishing to me is experience..Timing..presentation and remembering patterns that the fish seem to follow as i was taught at a young age...But i still struggle with certain factors that i am trying to improve with each season as the windows are narrow at times..Its always good hearing about methods and do's and don'ts...Good to see ya Nightstrikes and the best to you ...You have been a great asset to this community and are always willing to share things that would take yrs. to learn.. ;)

·
Banned
964 Posts
Almost forgot... if you haven't tried floating bloods at night, you're really missing out.

Put one of those little "Lunker Lights" in a sleeve just above the bobber and let it rip. It's quite a sight to see that thing zoom off under water... and the crowds are usually gone. The bugs, on the other hand, are a different story.

Oh, Paz, you got mail.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
ShoeB...we use that exact same method with the lunker lights for big largemouth bass at night with big shiners...it is killer. I gotta try it on the trout w/bloods as you suggest.

Yo Terr/Paz,
Did you sell my old Starcraft? I thought you were headed west bud. Anyway, good to see you back in here this season. I sold my big boat and bought a newer version of the same boat I sold to you. Hope your'e well pal. Bry

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finaddict...Hey Bri..Good to see ya bud...Yes i'm back and still have the boat because i wasn't sure how things were going to play out and now i'm glad that i still have it ;) ....How have you been?We'll have to get together for a spring trip...Like a chunkin trip or something...Maybe we can hook up and i'll bring the boat and follow you out and learn a little about the big bay...E-mail me when you get a chance...Great to see ya and hope you have a awesome season...Pazman

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Pazman2 whats up. i have done really well the past few years catching weakfish, most of them tide runners. the biggest being 12 pounds 2 ounces and most of the them in the 9 to 10 pound range.I only use 6 to 8 inch pink FinnS with silver or gray tops that have glitter with them. The bridges going into *** have produce the most in early spring at night.

[ 03-15-2006, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Originally posted by Pazman2:
i took notice too the tiny barbs that these hooks have and i said thats it..I'm done with these...
Don't give up on them. Smaller penatration hole to enlarge/grow as the fish is worked. ;) . Have bent barbs down on many a large hook/jig for just such reason when weakfishing. When "shrimpin" them, use wire hooks..go figgure. ;) "Very" light drag settings & "constant" tuant line as to comming twards & runing is a must(as NIGHTSTRIKES & others have mentioned). ;) ....thoes tiney barbs have reason for being there
. Luck to ya

·
Registered
157 Posts
ShoeB....where do you place that bobber on your floating blood rig?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.