BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a handful of weakies caught around OC but I am courious to fing out if the tide has been a huge factor. I always seem to do ok around sunset regardless of tide but I am told that you have to fish outgoing. Any one confirm or deny this.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Incoming but I have cought them on the outgoing also

[ 05-04-2006, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Bay Stalker ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I like outgoing ! :D

Actually I like both,the key is to hit the good runnning current.And that would be right in the middle of each tide coming or going..

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
I guess it depends on the spot.
I fish one spot in the Wildwoods area where I only catch weakies at the bottom of tide, either the end fo the outgoing or start of the incoming.
When the tide gets too high, you can't cast to the dropoff where the weakfish are.

Other spots like CM Point, you couldn't get on some of the jetties at high tide.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ocean temps are still low 50's. If you can fish the outgoing around sunset...especially the last two hours the water coming out is quite a bit warmer than the incoming which seems to help the fishing. Got my first one on the fly tonight about 30 minutes before dead low. 9lbs! Beautiful fish!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hey OCR. I was using a slow sinking intermediate and a white snake fly fished pretty slow. The snake fly is unweighted and has tons of action even when fished slow. It has been my favorite evening/night fly for three years. Will be looking for my first double digit fish this week. Gotta love the tiderunners!

·
Registered
75,200 Posts
I been lucky on the out going towards sun set. Especially in the back creeks empting into a larger water mass. It seems the warmer water coming out of the creeks is a good setup for Weakies hanging out for baitfish. Since I have only boated 10 fish in the last 2 years do not take my word for gospel.
I finally got a color FF which I hope gives me a clearer view of the bottom. I fish the same area as Barnaby and agree with his point about drop-offs.

Just a suggestion ? if you catch any put them back or keep one for the table. I hate to see these fish disappear. Weakies and the spotted trout are really getting hard to find any more. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts